Re: fix a "sender" name in the "sender" field on email

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dylan Parry, Mar 17, 2005.

  1. Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry Guest

    ella wrote:
    > How can I fix a "sender" name in the "sender" field when I
    > click on a hyperlink as that below to send a email from a webpage?

    You cannot.

    The above is non-standard, and is not guaranteed to work anyway. You can
    generally assume, that if the user has a mail client, and that it is
    configured in such a way that the browser is aware of it, then the
    mailto: will work (after a fashion), but the behaviour of such links
    with subject and body etc is less than predictable.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Mar 17, 2005

  2. Dylan Parry

    Dan Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > ella wrote:

    > The above is non-standard, and is not guaranteed to work anyway. You

    can
    > generally assume, that if the user has a mail client, and that it is
    > configured in such a way that the browser is aware of it, then the
    > mailto: will work (after a fashion), but the behaviour of such links
    > with subject and body etc is less than predictable.

    It isn't actually "nonstandard", since RFC 2368 has supported this
    syntax for quite a while now. (When using this in HTML, though, you
    need to escape the ampersand as &amp;, and you also need to escape any
    special characters like spaces in the parameters as %20.) However, it
    is still true that not all combinations of browsers and e-mail programs
    support such things, so it is indeed safer to use a plain "mailto"
    without extra parameters.

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Mar 17, 2005

  3. Dylan Parry

    ella Guest

    Thank you, Dan... but I really want to know about it because I am setting up
    a mailing system for my office. My boss is urging me.
    I think I should work on another way. Thank you very much, anyway.

    "Dan" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:...

    ella, Mar 19, 2005