Re: Fixing Dirt Filthy Front Page Code

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Steve Horrillo, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. On 2-Jul-2005, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <>
    wrote:

    > Steve Horrillo wrote:
    > > I read it and didn't see a good answer. As far as cross-posting, I
    > > don't dare cross-post to a FP group and a non FP group. Flame wars
    > > will start.

    > You have a point. Do not cross-post and include the FP group along
    > with any of these alt.* groups.
    >
    > > I multi-posted because I know not all the same people
    > > subscribe to all newsgroups. Nor can everyone access every
    > > newsgroup. Common sense tells me that multi-posting increases the
    > > potential readership. Can give me a valid reason this is not true?

    > Several here:
    > http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#xpost
    >
    > > Shouldn't you be telling people not to multi-subscribe rather than
    > > to not multi-post?

    > What? You want me to drop *my* subscription to alt.html.critique and
    > c.i.w.a.h so I won't see your multi-posted message? To be blunt, that
    > is absurd.
    >
    > > This taboo on multi-posting makes no logical sense to me. I'm not
    > > trying to be contrary. Maybe it's because of the sophitication of
    > > my newsreader (newsrover) that I don't see what the big deal is.
    > > Please explain.

    > Your particular newsreader would have nothing to do with it. Any
    > competent newsreader allows cross-posting to more than one group.
    >
    > --

    I read the links you referred me to. Thank you. But in practice multi
    posting gets the job done. Sure it makes it easier for those who hang out in
    a particular group, but the argument for not multi posting sounds like
    rationalization to me. For someone who needs an answer quick, multi-posting
    is the way. I filter out any thing but direct reply's. So should anyone who
    looking for a direct answer to a direct question. If you want to spend your
    day bantering back and forth I can understand why cross or multi posting is
    frowned upon. It seems that there's a certain percentage of group
    participants that think Usenet is their own private forum. I'm sure you
    understand that there's other places that are more private and controlled
    than Usenet.

    Like I said. This is an old taboo that continues in a day in age where
    there's alternatives. If you don't like spam or cross/multi-posting join a
    moderated Internet forum. At least that's what my take on it is so far.
    This is just "sandbox mentality." I can't imagine hanging out on Usenet for
    anything but giving or getting information. If you see multiple identical
    questions just answer it once and get on with your life. If it's a troll,
    don't answer. If it's cross posted strip off the other groups. If it's
    multi-posted answer only one time.

    As a real life example of multi-posting paying off, I posted to the FP
    group. I got a very simple and effective answer. "Right click on the code
    and select, "reformat html." I was hoping to get more wisdom outside FP
    Groups but if I had followed what was recommended from some of the other
    groups I would have wasted tons of time.

    Why do people keep cross or muti-posting? Why do people spam? Why are there
    still wars? The answer is simple. Because it works. You can make up all the
    reasons in the world why it shouldn't, but yet it DOES work. If your
    attitude is that you are truly here to help someone, you would look past the
    other person's viewpoint and methodology and answer the question. Unless of
    course you're just here to show your buddies how smart you are.

    It is beyond my imagining that someone would know how to help someone, but
    withholds that information just to punish them for not conforming. IIf
    that's what these people are made of, I don't want their reply.

    But like I said I'm always open changing my mind. But so far if I back up
    and try to see this from a neutral point of view, I still can't see the
    logic behind wasting hours reading though posts to make sure I'm asking the
    right group.

    --
    Warmest regards,

    Steve Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
    http://BrokerAgentTraining.com (MLXchange & Computer Training for Real
    Estate Professionals)
    http://over100percent.com (Realtors Earn Over 100 Percent at EXIT Realty)
    http:/HipFSBO.com (Object to Paying Commission? Find a FSBO Friendly Real
    Estate Professional)
    http://eLOWn.com ("Got a heartbeat?" Get a loan! Credit Repair Library)

    Steve Horrillo, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Steve Horrillo wrote:
    > I read the links you referred me to. Thank you. But in practice
    > multi posting gets the job done. Sure it makes it easier for those
    > who hang out in a particular group,

    <snip>

    No it doesn't. Steve, I am sorry you don't get it.

    If you cross-post, you only need to look for answers in *one* of the
    groups ...

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Steve Horrillo

    Chris Hope Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Steve Horrillo wrote:
    >> I read the links you referred me to. Thank you. But in practice
    >> multi posting gets the job done. Sure it makes it easier for those
    >> who hang out in a particular group,

    > <snip>
    >
    > No it doesn't. Steve, I am sorry you don't get it.
    >
    > If you cross-post, you only need to look for answers in *one* of the
    > groups ...

    Exactly, instead of having to read all four groups you posted to...

    Chris Hope, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Steve Horrillo

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 02:00:32 GMT, "Steve Horrillo"
    <> wrote:

    >But in practice multi posting gets the job done.

    cross-post, not multi post

    <plonk>

    Andy Dingley, Jul 3, 2005
  5. On 2-Jul-2005, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <>
    wrote:

    > Steve Horrillo wrote:
    > > I read the links you referred me to. Thank you. But in practice
    > > multi posting gets the job done. Sure it makes it easier for those
    > > who hang out in a particular group,

    > <snip>
    >
    > No it doesn't. Steve, I am sorry you don't get it.
    >
    > If you cross-post, you only need to look for answers in *one* of the
    > groups ...

    In my newsreader I'm able to create "interest groups." It scans the groups I
    choose then gives me the filtered or unfiltered reply's.

    Steve Horrillo, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Steve Horrillo

    rf Guest

    Steve Horrillo
    > On 2-Jul-2005, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <>
    > wrote:

    > > If you cross-post, you only need to look for answers in *one* of the
    > > groups ...

    > In my newsreader I'm able to create "interest groups." It scans the groups

    > choose then gives me the filtered or unfiltered reply's.

    Hmmm. News rover. Never heard of it.

    I don't use "your" news reader. Nor I suspect do many of the people you are
    asking help from. Nor I suspect do the different people who supplied you
    with exactly the same answer in two or more disparate groups, unaware that
    that same answer was already present one of the other another groups.

    A gentle hint: multiposting is wasting *our* collective time. Continue and
    we may not spend that time any more. You do want your next question
    answered don't you?

    Now, exactly how did you manage to reply to all of the multiposted groups
    with a very long, and identical, message. Did you copy/paste it to each of
    the four groups or does "your" newsreader *answer* to multiple groups as
    well?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 3, 2005
  7. On 3-Jul-2005, Andy Dingley <> wrote:

    > >But in practice multi posting gets the job done.

    > cross-post, not multi post
    >
    > <plonk>

    You must ave a huge killfile. Hope you back it up.

    Steve Horrillo, Jul 3, 2005
  8. On 3-Jul-2005, "rf" <@invalid.com> wrote:

    > A gentle hint: multiposting is wasting *our* collective time. Continue and
    > we may not spend that time any more. You do want your next question
    > answered don't you?

    No I don't. Not if it's conditional. Please killfile me or don't answer if
    that's your attitude. Same goes for real life.

    Steve Horrillo, Jul 3, 2005

    www.Newsrover.com

    Steve Horrillo, Jul 3, 2005
  10. On 3-Jul-2005, "rf" <@invalid.com> wrote:

    > Now, exactly how did you manage to reply to all of the multiposted groups
    > with a very long, and identical, message. Did you copy/paste it to each of
    > the four groups or does "your" newsreader *answer* to multiple groups as
    > well?

    Newsrover allows you to reply to the interest group you set up. It's
    effortless. I can also choose how many groups to crosspost or mutipost to if
    I choose. I just stay within the parameters my isp has set. If I multipost
    or crosspost across a huge number of groups they could and should shut me
    down. Anything beyond the isp's rules is just Usenet commando rants.

    Steve Horrillo, Jul 3, 2005
  11. Steve Horrillo

    Dennis Guest

    On 03 Jul 2005 Steve Horrillo wrote in alt.html

    >> Hmmm. News rover. Never heard of it.

    > www.Newsrover.com

    Xnews ie way better and it's free.

    --
    Dennis

    Dennis, Jul 3, 2005
  12. Steve Horrillo

    rf Guest

    Steve Horrillo plastered all over usenet:

    > No I don't. Not if it's conditional. Please killfile me or don't answer if
    > that's your attitude. Same goes for real life.

    Better yet...

    <crafts a message filter that drops anything posted by anyone that contains
    the phrase "News Rover" in the headers/>

    Cheers and goodbye
    Richard.

    PS Please do not reply to this, you are cluttering up the place.

    rf, Jul 4, 2005
  13. On 3-Jul-2005, "rf" <@invalid.com> wrote:

    > > No I don't. Not if it's conditional. Please killfile me or don't answer
    > > if
    > > that's your attitude. Same goes for real life.

    > Better yet...
    >
    > <crafts a message filter that drops anything posted by anyone that
    > contains
    > the phrase "News Rover" in the headers/>
    >
    > Cheers and goodbye
    > Richard.
    >
    > PS Please do not reply to this, you are cluttering up the place.

    Newsrover gives an option to include it's name in the headers or not. Cheers
    and goodbye to all you British snobs.

    Steve Horrillo, Jul 4, 2005
  14. rf wrote:
    > Steve Horrillo plastered all over usenet:

    >> No I don't. Not if it's conditional. Please killfile me or don't answer if
    >> that's your attitude. Same goes for real life.

    > Better yet...

    ><crafts a message filter that drops anything posted by anyone that contains
    > the phrase "News Rover" in the headers/>

    Holy shit. I don't even do that for OE. ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 4, 2005
  15. Steve Horrillo

    Dennis Guest

    On 03 Jul 2005 Steve Horrillo wrote in alt.html

    >> Cheers and goodbye
    >> Richard.
    >>
    >> PS Please do not reply to this, you are cluttering up the place.

    > Piece of shit rover gives an option to include it's name in the headers or

    not.
    > Cheers and goodbye to all you British snobs.

    Hey Richard, when did you move notrh?

    --
    Dennis

    Dennis, Jul 4, 2005
  16. Steve Horrillo

    rf Guest

    Dennis wrote:
    > On 03 Jul 2005 Steve Horrillo wrote in alt.html

    > > Cheers and goodbye to all you British snobs.

    > Hey Richard, when did you move notrh?

    I didn't know I had. <checks/> Nope, still winter outside.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 4, 2005
  17. Steve Horrillo

    Toby Inkster Guest

    rf wrote:
    > Dennis wrote:
    >
    >> Hey Richard, when did you move notrh?

    > I didn't know I had. <checks/> Nope, still winter outside.

    That doesn't prove you didn't move to Britain. Not today anyway.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jul 4, 2005
  18. Steve Horrillo

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Steve Horrillo <>
    said:

    > Newsrover allows you to reply to the interest group you set up. It's
    > effortless.

    Effortless for you. Not for anyone else reading your myriad of posts.

    > Anything beyond the isp's rules is just Usenet commando rants.

    No, it's commonly accepted Usenet conduct. You know, when in Rome etc.
    If you want your questions answered, then you should follow the
    conventions of the group you are asking them in.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jul 4, 2005
  19. Steve Horrillo

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jul 4, 2005
  20. Steve Horrillo

    Els Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > rf wrote:
    >> Dennis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey Richard, when did you move notrh?

    >> I didn't know I had. <checks/> Nope, still winter outside.

    > That doesn't prove you didn't move to Britain. Not today anyway.

    <g>

    Same here. Raining all morning already.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/