Re: Float design for thumbnail table

Discussion in 'HTML' started by 123Jim, May 11, 2010.

  1. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >I tried this example:
    > http://tinyurl.com/2jcs5r
    >
    > But it fails when the thumbnails have a variable width:
    > http://www.molon.de/test/csspo/index3.html
    >
    > All thumbnails are squeezed. Removing the width/height lock of the div
    > tags yields this:
    > http://www.molon.de/test/csspo/index4.html
    >
    > And this is how the page should look like:
    > http://www.molon.de/galleries/Australia/Sydney/Night/
    >
    > Any suggestions about how to make a thumbnail table with variable width
    > thumbnails float nicely?
    > --

    Taking inspiration from Neredbojias' example:
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ladycroft/floatthumbs/floatthumbs.html

    I cut your page up into images. . so I did not need to bother placing the
    images into divs with captions, padding and all that. The images float
    centre
    I still think it can be improved by carefully choosing the div dimensions.

    123Jim, May 11, 2010

  2. 123Jim

    Jenn Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <hscfb4$7em$-september.org>, 123Jim says...
    >> Taking inspiration from Neredbojias' example:
    >> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ladycroft/floatthumbs/floatthumbs.html
    >>
    >> I cut your page up into images. . so I did not need to bother
    >> placing the images into divs with captions, padding and all that.
    >> The images float centre
    >> I still think it can be improved by carefully choosing the div
    >> dimensions.

    > Well, the problem is that the bar below the image contains text with
    > variable length and the only way to make all those bars with the same
    > height is to put them all in a table as <td>. If they are independent,
    > the heights will not match.
    >
    > Also, all thumbs together should have the shape of a rectangle, as for
    > instance here:
    > http://www.molon.de/galleries/Australia/Sydney/Night/
    >
    > Again, the table design insures this. With float probably this is not
    > possible.

    aaaaaaahhhhhhh I LOVE a good table code!

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    http://pqlr.org/bbs/

    Jenn, May 12, 2010

  3. 123Jim

    > In article <hscfb4$7em$-september.org>, 123Jim says...
    >> Taking inspiration from Neredbojias' example:
    >> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ladycroft/floatthumbs/floatthumbs.html
    >>
    >> I cut your page up into images. . so I did not need to bother placing the
    >> images into divs with captions, padding and all that. The images float
    >> centre
    >> I still think it can be improved by carefully choosing the div
    >> dimensions.

    > Well, the problem is that the bar below the image contains text with
    > variable length and the only way to make all those bars with the same
    > height is to put them all in a table as <td>. If they are independent,
    > the heights will not match.
    >
    > Also, all thumbs together should have the shape of a rectangle, as for
    > instance here:
    > http://www.molon.de/galleries/Australia/Sydney/Night/
    >
    > Again, the table design insures this. With float probably this is not
    > possible.
    > --

    Never say die ;)
    However , it's a bit like Tetris this thing. The shapes are too diverse to
    fit into ever changing portrait shaped panels. Unless you constrain the
    shape of the divs. The landscapes with the same dimensions, and the
    portraits with dimensions for that shape. The space provided for the text
    bars could be constrained to two lines high for the landscapers and three
    lines for the portrait shape divs. (In addition to the lightbox/select
    links). That being the decision the landscapers should not be allowed to sit
    beside the portrait(ers) (just as in my example: image8 is prevented from
    being side by side with image7 . .I judge their heights are too different).
    One reason to pursue this collapsing/floating thing is you might like people
    on mobile devices with limited width to view your pages. However, I'm not
    sure how they will get on if they click the thumbs through to the full size
    image.

    123Jim, May 12, 2010
  4. 123Jim

    > In article <hscfb4$7em$-september.org>, 123Jim says...
    >> Taking inspiration from Neredbojias' example:
    >> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ladycroft/floatthumbs/floatthumbs.html
    >>
    >> I cut your page up into images. . so I did not need to bother placing the
    >> images into divs with captions, padding and all that. The images float
    >> centre
    >> I still think it can be improved by carefully choosing the div
    >> dimensions.

    > Well, the problem is that the bar below the image contains text with
    > variable length and the only way to make all those bars with the same
    > height is to put them all in a table as <td>. If they are independent,
    > the heights will not match.
    >
    > Also, all thumbs together should have the shape of a rectangle, as for
    > instance here:
    > http://www.molon.de/galleries/Australia/Sydney/Night/
    >
    > Again, the table design insures this. With float probably this is not
    > possible.
    > --

    By the way, excellent images! . are these HDR?

    123Jim, May 12, 2010
  5. 123Jim

    Jenn Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <hseres$oh2$-september.org>, 123Jim says...
    >> One reason to pursue this collapsing/floating thing is you might
    >> like people on mobile devices with limited width to view your pages.

    > I know, but in the meantime mobile device browsers have progressed in
    > such a way, that creating pages specific to such devices is no longer
    > necessary (these browsers come with a zoom feature).

    The only thing you have to do for those sort of web browsers is transcode
    video into .mp4 and .3gp format.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    http://pqlr.org/bbs/