Re: Floating Point Division

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Derek Simmons, May 9, 2010.

  1. On May 8, 1:26 am, niyander <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to implement (simulation + synthesis) a 32bit floating
    > point division unit.
    > To perform division basically the 23+1bit (1 hidden bit) mantissa part
    > is divided with the other mantissa, and then 8bit exponents are
    > subtracted and finally normalization is applied.
    > So for the mantissa division part I am following Binary Division by
    > Shift and Subtract method (http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs1104/Division/
    > ShiftSubtract/Shift.Subtract.html).
    > I can use this algorithm if both the mantissa's are such that no
    > remainder is left (i.e. remainder=0) but if mantissa's are such that a
    > remainder is left then how can i proceed with the division? if i
    > proceed then quotient would be inaccurate.
    >
    > I have already searched google for srt division algorithm but i am not
    > able to find an simple example. If some one give me srt division
    > example/algorithm for a value of 22/7 i would really appreciate that.
    >
    > Thanks

    How about if the remainder is greater than half the number you're
    dividing by add one to the least significant bit. If you can track
    down a copy of the manual for the Motorola MC88000 processor they have
    4 or 8 methods for rounding.

    Derek Simmons, May 9, 2010

  2. Derek Simmons

    niyander Guest

    On May 9, 5:59 am, Derek Simmons <> wrote:
    > On May 8, 1:26 am, niyander <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hello,

    > > I am trying to implement (simulation + synthesis) a 32bit floating
    > > point division unit.
    > > To perform division basically the 23+1bit (1 hidden bit) mantissa part
    > > is divided with the other mantissa, and then 8bit exponents are
    > > subtracted and finally normalization is applied.
    > > So for the mantissa division part I am following Binary Division by
    > > Shift and Subtract method (http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs1104/Division/
    > > ShiftSubtract/Shift.Subtract.html).
    > > I can use this algorithm if both the mantissa's are such that no
    > > remainder is left (i.e. remainder=0) but if mantissa's are such that a
    > > remainder is left then how can i proceed with the division? if i
    > > proceed then quotient would be inaccurate.

    > > I have already searched google for srt division algorithm but i am not
    > > able to find an simple example. If some one give me srt division
    > > example/algorithm for a value of 22/7 i would really appreciate that.

    > > Thanks

    > How about if the remainder is greater than half the number you're
    > dividing by add one to the least significant bit. If you can track
    > down a copy of the manual for the Motorola MC88000 processor they have
    > 4 or 8 methods for rounding.

    thanks

    niyander, May 9, 2010