Re: Floats: What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by MG, Aug 10, 2010.

  1. MG

    MG Guest

    MG, Aug 10, 2010

  2. Padmar Mushkin wrote:

    > Maybe a table is the only non-JS way to do what I want?

    At least it appears to be the simplest and most reliable way.

    > There could
    > potentially be hundreds of these on a page. Would using that many
    > tables be a performance problem?

    Hardly if you use two-cell tables. If you use a single table with multiple
    rows, then there would be the problem that a browser might not render
    anything before it has received and formatted the entire table, as the last
    cell may contain something that affects the layout. But this is easy to deal
    with in a case like this: you would just set
    table { table-layout: fixed }
    in CSS, which means that the browser calculates the column width according
    to the _first_ row, so it can start rendering content as soon as it has
    processed that row.

    > Ironically not so long ago I would use *only* tables for layout, and
    > it didn't even occur to me to use a table until now.

    There are still occasions where a simple layout table works best. The
    problems of tables for layout typically originate from (overly) complex
    (often nested) tables and fine-tuned pixel-exact layout that often prevents
    content from taking its natural shape.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 10, 2010