Re: Font Embeding

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Adrienne

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Robot Tree"
    <> writing in news:AAdTa.24581$b03.11598@lakeread03:

    > "Kevin Jenner" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to embed a font into a site/web page so that if a
    >> visiting user doesn't have a font that it will display correctly?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help --
    >> Kevin Jenner

    > I've had that problem recently, and although I haven't really looked, I
    > haven't found any solutions beyond making an image (which is a pain to
    > make) or flash [which is really easy to make because flash has really
    > good alignment tools, and you can just type the text in place in the
    > proper font, save the file, break the text apart (using the
    > "Modify-->Break Apart" function, which converts the text into
    > graphics), and save the file with a new filename (you want to keep the
    > original "unbroken apart" file so you can edit the text as necessary).
    > The obvious problem with images or flashes is that they take longer to
    > load and are more tedious to edit, but they can get the job done.

    And of course, you're providing a text version for those of us who don't
    have Flash?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Adrienne

    Robot Tree Guest

    > And of course, you're providing a text version for those of us who don't
    > have Flash?

    I'm providing whatever help I can. I very clearly stated that I don't have
    a great solution to his problem. If I assume that he does not have flash
    and that he would never consider using it, I would probably have not
    replied. If I assume that he might have flash (fact), then my solution has
    some positive (perhaps very small) value.

    Robot Tree, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Adrienne

    <> writing in news:b%dTa.24593$b03.1612@lakeread03:

    >> And of course, you're providing a text version for those of us who
    >> don't have Flash?

    > I'm providing whatever help I can. I very clearly stated that I don't
    > have a great solution to his problem. If I assume that he does not
    > have flash and that he would never consider using it, I would probably
    > have not replied. If I assume that he might have flash (fact), then my
    > solution has some positive (perhaps very small) value.

    No, I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about visitors who do not
    have Flash, providing a text alterative for them. I've been to many sites
    where there is no text alternative, flash is the first thing you (don't)
    see, no link to non-flash. Sorry for the confusion.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Adrienne

    Robot Tree Guest

    "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Robot Tree"
    > <> writing in news:b%dTa.24593$b03.1612@lakeread03:
    >
    > >> And of course, you're providing a text version for those of us who
    > >> don't have Flash?

    > > I'm providing whatever help I can. I very clearly stated that I don't
    > > have a great solution to his problem. If I assume that he does not
    > > have flash and that he would never consider using it, I would probably
    > > have not replied. If I assume that he might have flash (fact), then my
    > > solution has some positive (perhaps very small) value.
    > >

    > No, I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about visitors who do not
    > have Flash, providing a text alterative for them. I've been to many sites
    > where there is no text alternative, flash is the first thing you (don't)
    > see, no link to non-flash. Sorry for the confusion.
    >

    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell
    > http://www.arbpen.com

    Okay I see...I'm new to all of this so I get confused easily. So now I have
    a question for you. Can you use the alt= for the alternative text (assuming
    it's feasible to do so)....I mean, will that work? Like this:

    Flash file (*.swf) insertion:
    <object classid=blahblah codebase=blahblah width=blah height=blah alt="Here
    is the alternative text...I dunno how he could separate paragraphs using
    this method but would it work for just a little bit of text?">

    Robot Tree, Jul 22, 2003