Re: Font with fancy speech marks

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Steve Pugh, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Steve Pugh

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "PeterMcC" <> wrote:

    >Marc wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a font I can use on the web (a common one) that as
    >> curly speech marks, meaning " where they look like "Little 6s and 9s"
    >> as my little brother says.
    >>
    >> I thought Times New Roman had them, but it seems not.

    >Most fonts - including TNR - have them but the 66s and 99s are outside the
    >standard character set so, for web pages, you need to code them rather than
    >just using "..."
    >
    >In the HTML you should use:
    >‘ for a single opening quote - a "6"
    >’ for a single closing quote - a "9"
    >“ for double opening quotes - "66"
    >” for double closing quotes - "99"

    Nope. Those numbers are undefined in HTML.

    “ or &ldquo;
    ” or &rdquo;
    „ or &lsquo;
    ‟ or &rsquo;

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Steve Pugh

    PeterMcC Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > "PeterMcC" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Marc wrote:
    >>> I'm looking for a font I can use on the web (a common one) that as
    >>> curly speech marks, meaning " where they look like "Little 6s and
    >>> 9s" as my little brother says.
    >>>
    >>> I thought Times New Roman had them, but it seems not.

    >> Most fonts - including TNR - have them but the 66s and 99s are
    >> outside the standard character set so, for web pages, you need to
    >> code them rather than just using "..."
    >>
    >> In the HTML you should use:
    >> ‘ for a single opening quote - a "6"
    >> ’ for a single closing quote - a "9"
    >> “ for double opening quotes - "66"
    >> ” for double closing quotes - "99"

    > Nope. Those numbers are undefined in HTML.
    >
    > “ or &ldquo;
    > ” or &rdquo;
    > „ or &lsquo;
    > ‟ or &rsquo;

    I've used the method that I described above extensively without being aware
    of any problems - I do appreciate that the "aware of" is significant - but
    now I know better :)

    Thanks

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Steve Pugh

    Chris Harris Guest

    > >> I'm looking for a font I can use on the web (a common one) that as
    > >> curly speech marks, meaning " where they look like "Little 6s and 9s"
    > >> as my little brother says.
    > >>
    > >> I thought Times New Roman had them, but it seems not.

    > >Most fonts - including TNR - have them but the 66s and 99s are outside

    the
    > >standard character set so, for web pages, you need to code them rather

    than
    > >just using "..."
    > >
    > >In the HTML you should use:
    > >‘ for a single opening quote - a "6"
    > >’ for a single closing quote - a "9"
    > >“ for double opening quotes - "66"
    > >” for double closing quotes - "99"

    > Nope. Those numbers are undefined in HTML.
    >
    > “ or &ldquo;
    > ” or &rdquo;
    > „ or &lsquo;
    > ‟ or &rsquo;

    I didn't know that. Where is it defined? ie. where can I find a full
    listing?

    CJH

    Chris Harris, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Steve Pugh

    Greg Schmidt Guest

    Greg Schmidt, Jul 9, 2003
  5. Steve Pugh

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Chris Harris" <> wrote:
    > Steve Pugh <> wrote:
    >>
    >> “ or &ldquo;
    >> ” or &rdquo;
    >> „ or &lsquo;
    >> ‟ or &rsquo;
    >>

    >I didn't know that. Where is it defined? ie. where can I find a full
    >listing?

    The HTML specification lists all the character entity references (the
    &name; form) - http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities.html

    Numeric character references use the Unicode position. So consult a
    Unicode reference for a full (very large) list.

    But be aware of all the surrounding issues. There's some good reading
    at http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/chars.html and the various
    pages linked to from there.

    Steve Pugh, Jul 9, 2003
  6. Steve Pugh

    Chris Harris Guest

    > Numeric character references use the Unicode position. So consult a
    > Unicode reference for a full (very large) list.
    >
    > But be aware of all the surrounding issues. There's some good reading
    > at http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/chars.html and the various
    > pages linked to from there.
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks I'll go off and educate myself some more!

    Chris Harris, Jul 9, 2003
  7. PeterMcC wrote:

    > I've used the method that I described above extensively without being aware
    > of any problems - I do appreciate that the "aware of" is significant - but
    > now I know better :)

    Invalid stuff can sometimes give the appearance of "working" in some
    particular situation, but it is still a better idea to follow the standards.

    Some of my pages on character set issues:
    http://webtips.dan.info/char.html
    http://mailformat.dan.info/body/charsets.html

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Jul 10, 2003
  8. Steve Pugh

    PeterMcC Guest

    Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
    > PeterMcC wrote:
    >
    >> I've used the method that I described above extensively without
    >> being aware of any problems - I do appreciate that the "aware of" is
    >> significant - but now I know better :)

    > Invalid stuff can sometimes give the appearance of "working" in some
    > particular situation, but it is still a better idea to follow the
    > standards.

    Agree entirely, that's why I drew attention to the "aware of".

    > Some of my pages on character set issues:
    > http://webtips.dan.info/char.html
    > http://mailformat.dan.info/body/charsets.html

    Thanks.

    PeterMcC, Jul 10, 2003