Re: fonts for web enabled phones

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Phil Payne, Jan 7, 2008.

  1. Phil Payne

    Phil Payne Guest

    > I'm interested in writing for small screen devices (accepting XHTML
    > MP) like the number of second tier web phones (The iPhone is probably in
    > a different class).
    >
    > There's 2 approaches I can think of. Don't specify a font, or specify
    > a narrow font like Arial to maximize the content you can put on one
    > screen and still be readable.

    Yes. Leave it to the device as far as possible.

    http://www.isham-research.co.uk/handheld-friendly.html

    I've got a regular visitor using a pixel width of 122. I usually test
    down to 176x220 without any problems.
    Phil Payne, Jan 7, 2008

  2. Phil Payne

    Jeff Guest

    Phil Payne wrote:

    Hello Phil,

    >> I'm interested in writing for small screen devices (accepting XHTML
    >> MP) like the number of second tier web phones (The iPhone is probably in
    >> a different class).
    >>
    >> There's 2 approaches I can think of. Don't specify a font, or specify
    >> a narrow font like Arial to maximize the content you can put on one
    >> screen and still be readable.

    > Yes. Leave it to the device as far as possible.
    >
    > http://www.isham-research.co.uk/handheld-friendly.html

    Can you elaborate on a bit on WTAI phone listings.

    I found this:

    But it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 7, 2008

  3. Phil Payne

    Phil Payne Guest

    > >http://www.isham-research.co.uk/handheld-friendly.html
    >
    >    Can you elaborate on a bit on WTAI phone listings.
    >
    >    I found this:
    >
    > <URL:http://esw.w3.org/topic/UriSchemes/wtai />
    >
    >   But it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

    No, it doesn't, does it? I had the same problem.

    View the source of http://www.isham-research.co.uk/quattro/tech.html -
    it's in the first <p>.

    It doesn't work on all mobiles - the Nokia Communicator is one
    example. But it works on most - all the user usually has to do is
    move the highlight to the phone number and press Call.
    Phil Payne, Jan 7, 2008
  4. Phil Payne

    Jeff Guest

    Phil Payne wrote:
    >>> http://www.isham-research.co.uk/handheld-friendly.html

    >> Can you elaborate on a bit on WTAI phone listings.
    >>
    >> I found this:
    >>
    >> <URL:http://esw.w3.org/topic/UriSchemes/wtai />
    >>
    >> But it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

    > No, it doesn't, does it? I had the same problem.
    >
    > View the source of http://www.isham-research.co.uk/quattro/tech.html -
    > it's in the first <p>.

    The semicolon flips me out

    href="wtai://wp/mc;+447833654800"

    Is that an optional character or does it have meaning? I can sort of
    interpret the wp (web phone) but what is "wc". I take it that there are
    other wtai address schemes?

    > It doesn't work on all mobiles - the Nokia Communicator is one
    > example. But it works on most - all the user usually has to do is
    > move the highlight to the phone number and press Call.

    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff, Jan 7, 2008