Re: Fonts in Pages

Discussion in 'HTML' started by brucie, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. brucie

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:cqbHc.503$>
    TheChillPill <> said:

    > I have always been led to believe that for a font to display correctly on a
    > page, the visitors pc should have that font installed.

    true

    > However, the font (which I do not have installed) has been
    > rendered correctly on my sustem.

    your browser has allowed the font to be downloaded and installed with
    the web page. not recommended.

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Jul 8, 2004

  2. brucie

    Arondelle Guest

    brucie wrote:
    > your browser has allowed the font to be downloaded and installed with
    > the web page. not recommended.

    Um, is that what embedding fonts does? Download a font, rather than
    formatting the text with the relavant font object on the fly?

    Should I waste any more of my time with WEFT? (So far, it's not going
    well.)

    Arondelle
    To email me, empty the pond with a net

    Arondelle, Jul 8, 2004

  3. brucie

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Arondelle <> wrote:
    >brucie wrote:
    >> your browser has allowed the font to be downloaded and installed with
    >> the web page. not recommended.

    >Um, is that what embedding fonts does? Download a font, rather than
    >formatting the text with the relavant font object on the fly?

    It downloads a specially formatted version of the font to the browser
    so that the browser can format the text with that font 'on the fly'.
    It does not download and install the full font to the user's computer.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jul 8, 2004
  4. brucie

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:1dcHc.43370$>
    Arondelle <> said:

    >> your browser has allowed the font to be downloaded and installed with
    >> the web page. not recommended.

    > Um, is that what embedding fonts does? Download a font, rather than
    > formatting the text with the relavant font object on the fly?

    the browser needs to download something to know how to render the text.
    it depends on the method used as to what gets downloaded but it can be
    an entire font file.

    > Should I waste any more of my time with WEFT?

    you're asking the wrong person. embedded fonts do nothing except piss me
    off. microsofts own example is a good demonstration of making previously
    readable text unreadable but of course that doesn't matter as long as it
    looks kewl.

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/weft00.htm

    but if you must inflict embedded fonts on your visitors use open
    standards, not proprietary.

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Jul 8, 2004