Re: fonts...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Eustace, Oct 4, 2009.

  1. Eustace

    Eustace Guest

    On 2009-10-01 23:03 closeend wrote:
    > I know there are many articles and many ideas.
    >
    > Can You direct me to right source where I can find info what kind of
    > setup will display fonts the same way on most browsers?
    >
    > The biggest problem seems to IE6.
    >
    > Below is sample which is almost working well except H fonts.
    >
    > ----------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > body { margin:0; background: #7a6b51; color:#4f3915;}
    >
    > p { font-size: 10pt; margin:0 10px 10px 10px; line-height:1.5em;
    > font-family: verdana, Arial, Georgia, Tahoma, sans-serif;; color:#4f3915;}
    >
    >
    > H6 {font-family: "Trebuchet MS",Arial, sans-serif; font-weight: bold;
    > text-align:center;}
    > ...


    Maybe you will find this list of 21 web-safe font families useful:

    http://snipplr.com/view/15545/list-of-websafe-font-families/

    emf

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/itaintmebabe/itaintme.html
     
    Eustace, Oct 4, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Eustace wrote:

    > Maybe you will find this list of 21 web-safe font families useful:
    >
    > http://snipplr.com/view/15545/list-of-websafe-font-families/


    Useful for amusement, maybe, but what is humor to a knowledgeable person can
    be disinformation to others.

    It's really hilarious, or horrendous, depending on whether you take it as a
    joke or seriously.

    To begin with, 3 of the 21 fonts listed there (Symbol, Webdings, and
    Wingdings) are among the very few fonts around that are not web-safe in the
    very primitive but fundamental sense that if text contains only the most
    common Ascii characters (such as letters A to Z), it gets rendered
    recognizably when a particular font is used on a simplistic browser that
    does not know that a font lacks those characters.

    Moreover, Courier is rather safe if you want to use a font that gets very
    crusty in large font sizes. Arial Black is just awful for almost any use, so
    it's safe if you want to make people disgusted. Comic Sans MS is not quite
    as safe, since a few users may actually like it in some contexts.

    And that's just the start. I bet the apparently anonymous author of the list
    did not actually check what his own pages would look like in each of the 21
    fonts he or she declares as "web-safe". Still less did the anonymous person
    who pointlessly copied the list to another page.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
     
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 4, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Eustace

    Eustace Guest

    On 2009-10-04 02:54 Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Eustace wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe you will find this list of 21 web-safe font families useful:
    >>
    >> http://snipplr.com/view/15545/list-of-websafe-font-families/

    >
    > Useful for amusement, maybe, but what is humor to a knowledgeable person
    > can be disinformation to others.
    >
    > It's really hilarious, or horrendous, depending on whether you take it
    > as a joke or seriously.
    >
    > To begin with, 3 of the 21 fonts listed there (Symbol, Webdings, and
    > Wingdings) are among the very few fonts around that are not web-safe in
    > the very primitive but fundamental sense that if text contains only the
    > most common Ascii characters (such as letters A to Z), it gets rendered
    > recognizably when a particular font is used on a simplistic browser that
    > does not know that a font lacks those characters.
    >
    > Moreover, Courier is rather safe if you want to use a font that gets
    > very crusty in large font sizes. Arial Black is just awful for almost
    > any use, so it's safe if you want to make people disgusted. Comic Sans
    > MS is not quite as safe, since a few users may actually like it in some
    > contexts.
    >
    > And that's just the start. I bet the apparently anonymous author of the
    > list did not actually check what his own pages would look like in each
    > of the 21 fonts he or she declares as "web-safe". Still less did the
    > anonymous person who pointlessly copied the list to another page.


    I hadn't checked the original source of the list, thanks for bringing it
    to me attention. It's is true that he is anonymous - he only provides a
    contact form - but his font tester (http://www.fonttester.com/) is quite
    interesting though. But yes, the last 2 entries in the web-safe list
    makes one wonder on what kind of experience he made it.

    emf

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/itaintmebabe/itaintme.html
     
    Eustace, Oct 4, 2009
    #3
  4. On Oct 4, 8:55 pm, Eustace <> wrote:

    > emf
    >
    > --
    > It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretationhttps://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/itaintmebabe/itaintme.html


    What does 'emf' stand for - It's your signature?
    Like in your email adress? You chose such a beautiful name and
    then 'emf'. 'e' stands for 'Eustace'? Just wondering.
     
    Jan C. Faerber, Oct 5, 2009
    #4
  5. Eustace

    John Hosking Guest

    On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:09:09 -0700 (PDT), Jan C. Faerber wrote:

    > On Oct 4, 8:55 pm, Eustace wrote:
    >
    >> emf
    >>
    >> --
    >> It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    >> https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/itaintmebabe/itaintme.html

    >
    > What does 'emf' stand for - It's your signature?
    > Like in your email adress? You chose such a beautiful name and
    > then 'emf'. 'e' stands for 'Eustace'? Just wondering.


    Study her headers. Follow the link in her sig. Read to the end of the page.

    --
    John
    Meditate. Contemplate. Cogitate.
     
    John Hosking, Oct 5, 2009
    #5
  6. Eustace

    Eustace Guest

    On 2009-10-05 16:27 John Hosking wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:09:09 -0700 (PDT), Jan C. Faerber wrote:
    >
    >> On Oct 4, 8:55 pm, Eustace wrote:
    >>
    >>> emf
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    >>> https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/itaintmebabe/itaintme.html

    >> What does 'emf' stand for - It's your signature?
    >> Like in your email adress? You chose such a beautiful name and
    >> then 'emf'. 'e' stands for 'Eustace'? Just wondering.

    >
    > Study her headers. Follow the link in her sig. Read to the end of the page.


    Thanks for checking the link. One small correction however: Eustace is a
    male name, the female is Eustacia. It's quite uncommon, however, so the
    mistake is not unusual.

    emf

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/itaintmebabe/itaintme.html
     
    Eustace, Oct 6, 2009
    #6
  7. Eustace

    John Hosking Guest

    On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 23:49:14 -0400, Eustace wrote:

    > On 2009-10-05 16:27 John Hosking wrote:
    >> On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:09:09 -0700 (PDT), Jan C. Faerber wrote:
    >>
    >>> What does 'emf' stand for - It's your signature?
    >>> Like in your email adress? You chose such a beautiful name and
    >>> then 'emf'. 'e' stands for 'Eustace'? Just wondering.

    >>
    >> Study her headers. Follow the link in her sig. Read to the end of the page.

    >
    > Thanks for checking the link. One small correction however: Eustace is a
    > male name, the female is Eustacia. It's quite uncommon, however, so the
    > mistake is not unusual.


    Oops! Sorry!

    --
    John
    With me, a mistake is *never* unusual.
     
    John Hosking, Oct 6, 2009
    #7
  8. Jan C. Faerber, Oct 6, 2009
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Michael Tanner

    Different fonts in multiline text box...

    Michael Tanner, Jul 25, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    659
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD
    Jul 25, 2003
  2. Guest
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    571
    yuri vanzine
    Dec 29, 2003
  3. yuri vanzine

    Fonts installed on the web client???

    yuri vanzine, Dec 29, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    442
    Chris Jackson
    Dec 29, 2003
  4. Yuri Vanzine

    Fonts installed on the web client?

    Yuri Vanzine, Dec 30, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    366
    Yuri Vanzine
    Dec 30, 2003
  5. sam
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    453
Loading...

Share This Page