Re: forum admin needs help

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Apr 24, 2009.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <dkhIl.151279$1.easynews.com>,
    "Woody" <> wrote:

    > Hi. I'm the content admin of an online forum residing on purchased webspace.
    > My sidekick, the tech admin, has good computer knowledge but is a novice at
    > html, and needs your help.
    >
    > We created a splash page to act as a portal. I am told that, as a result of
    > a truly crappy html editor, the page contains a lot of inappropriate dead
    > code. The big problem, however, is that we can't get it the page resize
    > automatically to fit various browser windows.
    >
    > We have asked for help from html-knowledgeable people in our own community
    > but they all want to redesign the look of the page to suit their own tastes.
    > We like the look of the page just fine if we can just clean up dead code and
    > get the page to resize properly.
    >
    > Kindly provide a brief explanation, or link to an explanation, of how to do
    > auto resize.
    >
    > Alternatively, if you wish to view the page and its code, it's at
    > http://chronicsuicidesupport.com.
    >
    > All assistance much appreciated.

    * Use a proper strict doctype right at the top of your HTML doc.

    * Ring up your webserver admin and tell the to make sure their server is
    configured for your website to deliver a character encoding. Tell them
    you want UTF-8. In the meantime stick in

    in the <head> of your HTML document.

    * Then, read up a bit at

    <http://htmldog.com/>

    and especially on how to separate content from style:

    <http://htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/>

    and see if you can get your man to make the doc valid, close tags and
    all the stuff you need to do as basic jobs.

    If you get *every single bit* of presentational mark up out of the bit
    after <body>, even if you have no CSS to substitute, you will have a
    greater chance of someone here spending time on it to suggest ways to
    put it on a firmer footing.

    You cannot just learn to make it auto size any more than you can easily
    learn how to turn a frog into a beautiful princess by means other than
    kissing it and hoping for the best.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 24, 2009

  2. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > > Alternatively, if you wish to view the page and its code, it's at
    > > http://chronicsuicidesupport.com.

    Also, tell your man not to use *absolute positioning*. It is not for
    beginners.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 24, 2009