Re: forum admin needs help

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, Apr 24, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 07:24:49 -0400, "Woody" <> wrote:

    >Hi. I'm the content admin of an online forum residing on purchased webspace.
    >My sidekick, the tech admin, has good computer knowledge but is a novice at
    >html, and needs your help.
    >
    >We created a splash page to act as a portal. I am told that, as a result of
    >a truly crappy html editor, the page contains a lot of inappropriate dead
    >code. The big problem, however, is that we can't get it the page resize
    >automatically to fit various browser windows.
    >
    >We have asked for help from html-knowledgeable people in our own community
    >but they all want to redesign the look of the page to suit their own tastes.
    >We like the look of the page just fine if we can just clean up dead code and
    >get the page to resize properly.
    >
    >Kindly provide a brief explanation, or link to an explanation, of how to do
    >auto resize.
    >
    >Alternatively, if you wish to view the page and its code, it's at
    >http://chronicsuicidesupport.com.
    >
    >All assistance much appreciated.
    >
    >Woody

    Try using css.
    Your coding has way to many instances of one attribute for the same
    element such as in the font tag.
    This could all be eliminated and cleaned up by using css.

    One thing you could use is a division for the main content.

    font-family:arial,tahoma; font-size:1em;">

    margin:auto will center the division regardless of browser size.
    font-size:1em will make the text appear the size of what ever the
    browser text size is set at.

    I'd also suggest forget using position:absolute for every item.
    Instead, use float:left.

    I will kindly suggest acquiring acehtml editor as it is free and
    leaves no crappy coding.

    Just for kicks, I plugged your code into ace and got this result with
    no mods. Other than adding a document type and a closing /body and
    /html which you are missing.

    http://1littleworld.net/spacebus.jpg
    richard, Apr 24, 2009

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:00:29 -0400, "Woody" <> wrote:

    >"richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 07:24:49 -0400, "Woody" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi. I'm the content admin of an online forum residing on purchased
    >>>webspace.
    >>>My sidekick, the tech admin, has good computer knowledge but is a novice
    >>>at
    >>>html, and needs your help.
    >>>
    >>>We created a splash page to act as a portal. I am told that, as a result
    >>>of
    >>>a truly crappy html editor, the page contains a lot of inappropriate dead
    >>>code. The big problem, however, is that we can't get it the page resize
    >>>automatically to fit various browser windows.
    >>>
    >>>We have asked for help from html-knowledgeable people in our own community
    >>>but they all want to redesign the look of the page to suit their own
    >>>tastes.
    >>>We like the look of the page just fine if we can just clean up dead code
    >>>and
    >>>get the page to resize properly.
    >>>
    >>>Kindly provide a brief explanation, or link to an explanation, of how to
    >>>do
    >>>auto resize.
    >>>
    >>>Alternatively, if you wish to view the page and its code, it's at
    >>>http://chronicsuicidesupport.com.
    >>>
    >>>All assistance much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Woody
    >>>

    >> Try using css.
    >> Your coding has way to many instances of one attribute for the same
    >> element such as in the font tag.
    >> This could all be eliminated and cleaned up by using css.
    >>
    >> One thing you could use is a division for the main content.

    >> font-family:arial,tahoma; font-size:1em;">
    >>
    >> margin:auto will center the division regardless of browser size.
    >> font-size:1em will make the text appear the size of what ever the
    >> browser text size is set at.
    >>
    >> I'd also suggest forget using position:absolute for every item.
    >> Instead, use float:left.
    >>
    >> I will kindly suggest acquiring acehtml editor as it is free and
    >> leaves no crappy coding.
    >>
    >> Just for kicks, I plugged your code into ace and got this result with
    >> no mods. Other than adding a document type and a closing /body and
    >> /html which you are missing.
    >>
    >> http://1littleworld.net/spacebus.jpg

    >Thank you for your prompt reply. It has been forwarded to my tech admin for
    >her review.
    >
    >When I clicked your link I got a webpage where various elements and bits of
    >text were over top of each other. Was the effect you created intentional? I
    >use IE7 at 1280x1024 resolution and small browser windows but increasing
    >window size didn't have any effect.
    >
    >Woody

    Not intentional. acehtml uses IE as it's internal browser.
    I would suggest that your tech learn some basic coding practices.
    Like what attributes are allowed in various tags.
    e.g. <br> has only but a few attributes. "color" is not one of them.

    As I have nothing better to do this morning, I am kind of working on
    showing you one possible way of how to do it better. Not that I am no
    expert, just doin it for fun.

    First thing I did was downsize the bus image.
    richard, Apr 24, 2009

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:00:29 -0400, "Woody" <> wrote:

    >"richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 07:24:49 -0400, "Woody" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi. I'm the content admin of an online forum residing on purchased
    >>>webspace.
    >>>My sidekick, the tech admin, has good computer knowledge but is a novice
    >>>at
    >>>html, and needs your help.
    >>>
    >>>We created a splash page to act as a portal. I am told that, as a result
    >>>of
    >>>a truly crappy html editor, the page contains a lot of inappropriate dead
    >>>code. The big problem, however, is that we can't get it the page resize
    >>>automatically to fit various browser windows.
    >>>
    >>>We have asked for help from html-knowledgeable people in our own community
    >>>but they all want to redesign the look of the page to suit their own
    >>>tastes.
    >>>We like the look of the page just fine if we can just clean up dead code
    >>>and
    >>>get the page to resize properly.
    >>>
    >>>Kindly provide a brief explanation, or link to an explanation, of how to
    >>>do
    >>>auto resize.
    >>>
    >>>Alternatively, if you wish to view the page and its code, it's at
    >>>http://chronicsuicidesupport.com.
    >>>
    >>>All assistance much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Woody
    >>>

    >> Try using css.
    >> Your coding has way to many instances of one attribute for the same
    >> element such as in the font tag.
    >> This could all be eliminated and cleaned up by using css.
    >>
    >> One thing you could use is a division for the main content.

    >> font-family:arial,tahoma; font-size:1em;">
    >>
    >> margin:auto will center the division regardless of browser size.
    >> font-size:1em will make the text appear the size of what ever the
    >> browser text size is set at.
    >>
    >> I'd also suggest forget using position:absolute for every item.
    >> Instead, use float:left.
    >>
    >> I will kindly suggest acquiring acehtml editor as it is free and
    >> leaves no crappy coding.
    >>
    >> Just for kicks, I plugged your code into ace and got this result with
    >> no mods. Other than adding a document type and a closing /body and
    >> /html which you are missing.
    >>
    >> http://1littleworld.net/spacebus.jpg

    >Thank you for your prompt reply. It has been forwarded to my tech admin for
    >her review.
    >
    >When I clicked your link I got a webpage where various elements and bits of
    >text were over top of each other. Was the effect you created intentional? I
    >use IE7 at 1280x1024 resolution and small browser windows but increasing
    >window size didn't have any effect.
    >
    >Woody

    http://1littleworld.net/code/suicide.html

    Just one possible way of doing it

    Using copy and paste for the text, it only took me about 30 minutes of
    time if that.

    Yes I know of the errors in it. Those I am leaving for them to clean
    up and learn with.
    richard, Apr 24, 2009