Re: Foxpro goto command and deleted records

Discussion in 'Python' started by MRAB, Jul 18, 2012.

  1. MRAB

    MRAB Guest

    On 17/07/2012 23:57, Ethan Furman wrote:
    > In Foxpro if you do a
    >
    > GOTO 7
    >
    > with deleted off and record 7 is deleted, the record pointer doesn't
    > move (at least in version 6).
    >
    > I don't like that.
    >
    > I see four other options:
    >
    > 0) don't move the pointer (listed for completeness)
    > 1) go to that record anyway
    > 2) go to the next undeleted record
    > 3) go to the seventh undeleted record (possibly the least practical)
    > 4) raise an exception
    >
    > Any opinions?

    What happens when you 'delete' a record? Does it disappear immediately,
    or is it merely marked for deletion?

    If it is marked for deletion, can it be unmarked? Will a marked record
    be removed when the file is closed, or does the file need to be
    explicitly purged/compacted?

    If it is merely marked, then I think the best option is 1, or possibly
    4 if the file is compacted when closed.
    MRAB, Jul 18, 2012