Re: Foxpro goto command and deleted records

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ed Leafe, Jul 18, 2012.

  1. Ed Leafe

    Ed Leafe Guest

    On Jul 17, 2012, at 5:57 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:

    > In Foxpro if you do a
    >
    > GOTO 7
    >
    > with deleted off and record 7 is deleted, the record pointer doesn't
    > move (at least in version 6).
    >
    > I don't like that.
    >
    > I see four other options:
    >
    > 0) don't move the pointer (listed for completeness)
    > 1) go to that record anyway
    > 2) go to the next undeleted record
    > 3) go to the seventh undeleted record (possibly the least practical)
    > 4) raise an exception
    >
    > Any opinions?

    It's been many years since I fired up VFP, but the above doesn't sound correct. If you have SET DELETED OFF and the GOTO 7, the pointer should move to the 7th record, whether it is marked deleted or not. With SET DELETED ON, the pointer should not move, since 7 is not a valid record.

    -- Ed Leafe
    Ed Leafe, Jul 18, 2012