    without actually having to put it there in full.
    So could someone tell me what is the correct word or words I would use to do
    a search for this..

    JT, Oct 31, 2004

  2. JT

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:43:22 +0000 (UTC), "JT"
    <> wrote:

    >I have now set about the task of converting my Frames site to CSS. I know
    >you have probably been asked this no end of times, but if I knew what it was
    >called I would do a search.
    >
    >My present left frame contains the links to all my other pages and I want to
    >know how with CSS I can call what I'm calling a 'left frame' onto every page
    >without actually having to put it there in full.

    You can't. You should put it there in full on every page.

    CSS is abourt presentation - it only has limited and poorly supported
    capabilities for including content.

    >So could someone tell me what is the correct word or words I would use to do
    >a search for this..

    Server Side Includes.
    Preprocessing.
    PHP.
    ASP.
    etc.
    take your pick.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Oct 31, 2004

  3. JT

    Localnet Guest

    Without quill or qualm, JT quothed:

    > I have now set about the task of converting my Frames site to CSS. I know
    > you have probably been asked this no end of times, but if I knew what it was
    > called I would do a search.
    >
    > My present left frame contains the links to all my other pages and I want to
    > know how with CSS I can call what I'm calling a 'left frame' onto every page
    > without actually having to put it there in full.
    > So could someone tell me what is the correct word or words I would use to do
    > a search for this..

    Frames are your friend. Css="Can't Stand Sanity".

    --
    Neredbojias

    Localnet, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Hi,

    JT wrote:
    > I have now set about the task of converting my Frames site to CSS. I know
    > you have probably been asked this no end of times, but if I knew what it was
    > called I would do a search.

    Not to worry - I had to do this at work a few weeks back. Nice sort of
    site, lots of frames, lots of bust stuff. Moved it to CSS and life was
    happy again.

    > My present left frame contains the links to all my other pages and I want to
    > know how with CSS I can call what I'm calling a 'left frame' onto every page
    > without actually having to put it there in full.

    Create yourself a couple of "blocks". One on the left, one on the right

    #leftblock {
    position: relative;
    float: left;
    width: 25%;
    }

    Next create on for the right

    #rightblock {
    float: left;
    width: 75%;
    }

    Next, you have something like this

    <!-- #include virtual="includes/something.shtml" -->

    You can then place whatever you want instead of "something.shtml" in
    there. For example

    <!-- #include virtual="includes/something-else.shtml" -->

    Could be on a page linked from the first page. The something-else.shtml
    file can contains something completely different.

    Nice and simple eh! You can link directly to the page and not need to
    worry about where the framesets are and stuff like that.

    TTFN

    Paul

    --

    http://www.all-the-johnsons.co.uk

    Joy!

    Paul F. Johnson, Oct 31, 2004
  5. JT

    Neal Guest

    wrote:

    > I have now set about the task of converting my Frames site to CSS. I
    > know
    > you have probably been asked this no end of times, but if I knew what it
    > was
    > called I would do a search.
    >
    > My present left frame contains the links to all my other pages and I
    > want to
    > know how with CSS I can call what I'm calling a 'left frame' onto every
    > page
    > without actually having to put it there in full.
    > So could someone tell me what is the correct word or words I would use
    > to do
    > a search for this..

    I'm in the process of designing a navigation for a site which does what
    you are talking about. Basically, the navigation is positioned (you could
    float too) in CSS to where I want it, and I use PHP to require a file to
    be referenced. Or you could use SSI (Server Side Include).

    The file could simply be a snippet of HTML which forms the navigation
    list, with style handled in the CSS stylesheet. But what I'm doing is
    making it a PHP script, where the item that points to the current page
    unclickable and styled differently to highlight it. Also, depending on the
    page, a separate context menu appears with more links related to the page
    you're on. This can't be done with SSI.

    One of the things frames users want that is hard in CSS is to have the
    navigation stay put on the page as the page scrolls. It can be done with
    position: fixed, but IE is lame and won't do it. It can degrade just fine,
    though, on IE. But from what I've seen, users really don't need the menu
    to be stuck on screen all the time in most situations anyway, so it's a
    small loss.

    I've peppered this with some great search terms, feel free to ask here
    further (in addition to your own research).

    Neal, Oct 31, 2004
  6. JT

    rf Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > But what I'm doing is
    > making it a PHP script, where the item that points to the current page
    > unclickable and styled differently to highlight it.

    What a clever idea. I wonder where you picked up that one :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 31, 2004
  7. JT

    JT Guest

    Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    > JT wrote:
    > I have now set about the task of converting my Frames site to CSS. I

    know
    > you have probably been asked this no end of times, but if I knew what it

    was
    > called I would do a search.

    .. Not to worry - I had to do this at work a few weeks back. Nice sort of
    .. site, lots of frames, lots of bust stuff. Moved it to CSS and life was
    .. happy again.

    > My present left frame contains the links to all my other pages and I want

    > know how with CSS I can call what I'm calling a 'left frame' onto every

    page
    > without actually having to put it there in full.

    .. Create yourself a couple of "blocks". One on the left, one on the right
    . #leftblock {
    .. position: relative;
    .. float: left;
    .. width: 25%;
    .. }
    ..
    .. Next create on for the right
    .. #rightblock {
    .. float: left;
    .. width: 75%;
    .. }
    ..
    .. Next, you have something like this
    .. <div id="leftblock">
    .. <!-- #include virtual="includes/something.shtml" -->
    .. </div>
    ..
    .. You can then place whatever you want instead of "something.shtml" in
    .. there. For example
    .. <div id="leftblock">
    .. <!-- #include virtual="includes/something-else.shtml" -->

    ..
    .. Could be on a page linked from the first page. The something-else.shtml
    .. file can contains something completely different.
    .. Nice and simple eh! You can link directly to the page and not need to
    .. worry about where the framesets are and stuff like that.
    .. Paul

    I fell at the first fence. http://www.btinternet.com/~meridklt/css/ where
    did I go wrong in simple terms?
    (I'm in the pre-novice category)

    JT, Nov 1, 2004
  8. JT

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:03:47 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    > Neal wrote:
    >
    >> But what I'm doing is
    >> making it a PHP script, where the item that points to the current page
    >> unclickable and styled differently to highlight it.

    > What a clever idea. I wonder where you picked up that one :)

    Gee, I dunno. Couldn't be the helpful alt.php version of rf...

    Neal, Nov 1, 2004
  9. JT

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 00:15:09 +0000 (UTC), JT <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > I fell at the first fence. http://www.btinternet.com/~meridklt/css/ where
    > did I go wrong in simple terms?

    Your server is probably not set up to process SSI, or not on .htm
    documents, anyway. Do you have access to a server-side language (PHP,
    ASP, etc) at all?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au