Re: Frames- How can a direct the hyperlink?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Whitecrest, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. Whitecrest

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > Synchronized flash and video, synchronized web pages and video.

    > You just don't get it, do you?

    What I do get is the fact that you have decided what a web based
    presentation can be, and are unwilling to see anything else. Can you
    direct me to a SMIL site that has, images, flash, and html integrated
    with video. I really need to see one. What's that? You can't because
    SMIL is incapable of doing that.

    See the problem is that you are looking through blinders when you look
    at what a web based presentation can do. Proof of this is where you say
    that there is nothing more than moving images and video. This is so far
    from reality that I laugh when I read it.

    A web based presentation can integrate the video, and the timing with
    the timing of the flash. We do this all the time. You can not do the
    same with SMIL because Real player (the only player that supports SMIL
    to any degree) can not use a flash presentation, or html as a slide.

    What if the slide you want to display during the video is an interactive
    Flash application that talks to a database (say a poll, or even the
    ability to change the video you are watching based on your choice in the
    flash object) Features like this are by far the most popular when it
    comes to our clients (which includes Turner south, CNN, Streaming faith,
    University of Alabama, CCF, and HBO). Sorry, you can not do this with
    SMIL. That's what you don't get. Now, if you want all these things (and
    the clients do) and if you want to make sure that your presentation
    works on the Mac as well at on the PC then you must use frames to
    communicate.

    > Ask yourself: What *is* flash?
    > Flash is just pictures on the computer screen and sound out of the
    > speakers.

    And there is part of the problem. You think that is what flash is.

    > You still haven't told me anything that you can do with Frames +
    > JavaScript + Videos + Flash + Pictures + HTML + whatever that doesn't just
    > amount to pictures on the computer screen and sound out of the speakers --
    > something of which SMIL is perfectly capable.

    I mentioned above one very popular example of what you can do with
    frames, javascript, video, flash, images, and html, that you can not do
    with SMIL. If you disagree, then please point me to a page that does
    all that with SMIL.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Whitecrest wrote:
    > Toby wrote:
    >> Ask yourself: What *is* flash?
    >> Flash is just pictures on the computer screen and sound out of the
    >> speakers.

    > And there is part of the problem. You think that is what flash is.

    But that *is* what Flash is!

    Can Flash generate unique smells? tastes? Can it make three dimensional
    hands pop out of the screen and tickle your toes?!

    No. All Flash can do if draw pictures (including moving pictures) onto the
    screen and play sounds out of your speakers. How many *times* do I need to
    *explain* this?!?!?!

    > I mentioned above one very popular example of what you can do with
    > frames, javascript, video, flash, images, and html, that you can not do
    > with SMIL.

    You said that you can't "integrate a flash file with a slideshow using
    SMIL" [which is patent nonsense anyway, as RealPlayer supports the Flash
    plugin, images (which are all that are needed for a slideshow) and SMIL]
    but you miss out on the bigger idea:

    Even if a particular technology (e.g. Flash) is unavailable in SMIL, the
    end result can still be achieved (e.g. replace the Flash file with an MPEG
    file that is a screen capture of the Flash file.)

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Whitecrest

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Whitecrest wrote:
    > >> Ask yourself: What *is* flash?
    > >> Flash is just pictures on the computer screen and sound out of the
    > >> speakers.

    > > And there is part of the problem. You think that is what flash is.

    > But that *is* what Flash is!

    And I say again, by your statement, you have no idea what flash can do.
    Visit a few of the Flash forums for a while and learn what you can do
    with it. Then you will see how wrong you are.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Sep 1, 2003