    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
    Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

    Blinky the Shark, May 29, 2008

  2. Blinky the Shark

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > JohnW-Mpls wrote:
    >
    > > What is so terrible about Frames?

    > Rather than requiring the wheel to be reinvented for you here, Google the
    > phrase "frames are evil".

    Except that they aren't :)

    There are circumstances in which they are useful. My advice would be to
    use them if they suit your purpose, and not if they don't (like
    everything else).

    Tim Streater, May 30, 2008

  3. Blinky the Shark

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim Streater <> wrote:

    > There are circumstances in which they are useful. My advice would be to
    > use them if they suit your purpose, and not if they don't (like
    > everything else).

    Did you get permission from Travis to say this?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 30, 2008
  4. Blinky the Shark

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tim Streater <> wrote:
    >
    > > There are circumstances in which they are useful. My advice would be to
    > > use them if they suit your purpose, and not if they don't (like
    > > everything else).

    > Did you get permission from Travis to say this?

    Who's he?

    Tim Streater, May 30, 2008
  5. Blinky the Shark

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim Streater <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Tim Streater <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > There are circumstances in which they are useful. My advice would be to
    > > > use them if they suit your purpose, and not if they don't (like
    > > > everything else).

    > > Did you get permission from Travis to say this?

    > Who's he?

    He is the mother of motherhood statements.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 30, 2008
  6. Tim Streater wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> JohnW-Mpls wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is so terrible about Frames?

    >> Rather than requiring the wheel to be reinvented for you here, Google the
    >> phrase "frames are evil".

    > Except that they aren't :)
    >
    > There are circumstances in which they are useful. My advice would be to
    > use them if they suit your purpose, and not if they don't (like
    > everything else).

    Sure use frames, but then don't complain about all the bumps and warts
    that come with them.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, May 30, 2008
  7. Blinky the Shark

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <cb9c7$483ffc06$40cba7a3$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Tim Streater wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > >> Rather than requiring the wheel to be reinvented for you here, Google the
    > >> phrase "frames are evil".

    > > Except that they aren't :)
    > >
    > > There are circumstances in which they are useful. My advice would be to
    > > use them if they suit your purpose, and not if they don't (like
    > > everything else).

    > Sure use frames, but then don't complain about all the bumps and warts
    > that come with them.

    I don't! That's just it. Far as I can tell, they work as advertised.

    Tim Streater, May 30, 2008
  8. Tim Streater wrote:
    > In article <cb9c7$483ffc06$40cba7a3$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    >> Sure use frames, but then don't complain about all the bumps and warts
    >> that come with them.

    > I don't! That's just it. Far as I can tell, they work as advertised.

    Fine, until your ask how to synchronize frames without reliance on
    JavaScript...one of many shortcomings that is commonly asked here.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, May 30, 2008
  9. Blinky the Shark

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <c1e30$483ffee7$40cba7a3$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Tim Streater wrote:
    > > In article <cb9c7$483ffc06$40cba7a3$>,
    > > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > >> Sure use frames, but then don't complain about all the bumps and warts
    > >> that come with them.

    > > I don't! That's just it. Far as I can tell, they work as advertised.

    > Fine, until your ask how to synchronize frames without reliance on
    > JavaScript...one of many shortcomings that is commonly asked here.

    That is unlikely to be a problem. Most of my apps will fail if JS is not
    enabled (and most of them don't use frames). But the users have my phone
    number anyway, so if it became an issue I would request that their boss
    tell them that it's a requirement of the job that they enable it.
    They're all either colleagues or subcontractors.

    Tim Streater, May 30, 2008
  10. On May 30, 5:24 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > There are circumstances in which they are useful. My advice would be to
    > > use them if they suit your purpose, and not if they don't (like
    > > everything else).

    > Did you get permission from Travis to say this?

    Thanks for covering for me in my absence...

    Travis Newbury, May 30, 2008
  11. On May 30, 9:32 am, Tim Streater <> wrote:
    > > Sure use frames, but then don't complain about all the bumps and warts
    > > that come with them.

    > I don't! That's just it. Far as I can tell, they work as advertised.

    Ok guys I'll take it from here....

    Frames are a semi-obsolete technology for the web. While there are
    probably viable uses of frames, the general consensus is that they
    cause more problems than they solve. If you are using them in a
    controlled environment (say an intranet where you control the
    browser) then they are less likely to cause you the problems.

    Sadly, your question makes you seem like a troll just looking to start
    an argument.

    Now back to my vacation (San Diego this week)

    Travis Newbury, May 30, 2008
  12. Tim Streater wrote:
    > In article <c1e30$483ffee7$40cba7a3$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tim Streater wrote:
    >>> I don't! That's just it. Far as I can tell, they work as advertised.

    >> Fine, until your ask how to synchronize frames without reliance on
    >> JavaScript...one of many shortcomings that is commonly asked here.

    > That is unlikely to be a problem. Most of my apps will fail if JS is not
    > enabled (and most of them don't use frames).(*)

    > But the users have my phone
    > number anyway, so if it became an issue I would request that their boss
    > tell them that it's a requirement of the job that they enable it.
    > They're all either colleagues or subcontractors.

    (*)Poorly done websites, yes, not if done properly. My customers are
    worldwide... they don't like making international calls.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, May 30, 2008
  13. Tim Streater wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> JohnW-Mpls wrote:
    >>
    >> > What is so terrible about Frames?

    >> Rather than requiring the wheel to be reinvented for you here, Google the
    >> phrase "frames are evil".

    > Except that they aren't :)

    Then he can Google the phrase "some people use frames anyway".

    --
    Blinky

    Blinky the Shark, May 30, 2008