Re: Free All Purpose C Library

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Flash Gordon, Sep 25, 2008.

  1. Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Strange Cat @ Work wrote, On 25/09/08 16:47:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > for a new test project I have to select a free (or low cost) all purpose C
    > library to be used in Linux and Windows Consoles...

    An a purpose library would be infinite in size as there are infinitely
    many purposes to which someone might want to put it.

    > I have come across Imatrix's Standard Function Library which is quite old
    > and gave me some problems building with Turbo C++ (antique software free
    > from Borland :) )

    There are far more up-to-date free compilers for Windows. I recommend
    that unless you have a good reason to stay with an ancient compiler you
    update. There has been a thread here over the last few days discussing
    the availability of compilers.

    > Can someone provide me some links. What I am looking for would help me with
    > threading,

    This is generally handed differently in Windows and Linux. I suggest
    checking whether comp.programming.threads might be a better place to ask
    about threading libraries which are available on both Windows and Linux.

    > collections (like the ones I have in C#... That's my wet dream
    > :) )...

    Hmm. Could be hard to search for that one. However, you are probably
    better off using separate libraries for threading and collections rather
    than one library that solves two completely unrelated tasks.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    If spamming me sent it to

    Flash Gordon, Sep 25, 2008

  2. Re: [OT] [Re: Free All Purpose C Library

    Eric Sosman <> writes:
    [...]
    > Your library reminds me of an IOCCC entry from many years ago,
    > a program which when compiled on an appropriate system could do
    > pretty much anything at all:
    >
    > <code>
    > #include "/dev/tty"
    > </code>

    Yes, I think that was from the very first year of the contest. Like
    most great entries, it led to a rule change to prevent anyone from
    doing the same thing again.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Sep 25, 2008

  3. Flash Gordon

    CBFalconer Guest

    blargg wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Strange Cat @ Work wrote, On 25/09/08 16:47:
    >>
    >>> for a new test project I have to select a free (or low cost) all
    >>> purpose C library to be used in Linux and Windows Consoles...

    >> An a purpose library would be infinite in size as there are
    >> infinitely many purposes to which someone might want to put it.

    > My all-purpose library is a blank source code file, ready to add
    > code to. Some assembly required, though.

    Let me suggest using a compiler rather than an assembler. :)

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Sep 26, 2008