Re: Future FASMLIB website

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by santosh, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. santosh

    santosh Guest

    T.M. Sommers wrote:
    <snip>
    > > santosh wrote:

    <snip>
    > >>Also there's always stdint.h, though it's not completely portable,

    > Just what is not portable about int32_t (for instance)? It is
    > guaranteed to be exactly 32 bits.

    Not all the types in stdint.h are guaranteed to be available on all C
    implementations. They're defined only if the underlying system has
    support for them.

    santosh, Jan 24, 2007

  2. santosh

    T.M. Sommers Guest

    santosh wrote:
    > T.M. Sommers wrote:

    >>Just what is not portable about int32_t (for instance)? It is
    >>guaranteed to be exactly 32 bits.

    > Not all the types in stdint.h are guaranteed to be available on all C
    > implementations.

    They are guaranteed to be there in all compilers that conform to
    the standard.

    > They're defined only if the underlying system has
    > support for them.

    Well, obviously.

    --
    Thomas M. Sommers -- -- AB2SB

    T.M. Sommers, Jan 24, 2007

  3. "T.M. Sommers" <> writes:
    > santosh wrote:

    > >>Just what is not portable about int32_t (for instance)? It is
    > >>guaranteed to be exactly 32 bits.

    > > Not all the types in stdint.h are guaranteed to be available on all C
    > > implementations.

    > They are guaranteed to be there in all compilers that conform to the
    > standard.
    >
    > > They're defined only if the underlying system has
    > > support for them.

    > Well, obviously.

    Which contradicts the point above.

    A compiler that doesn't have a 32-bit type with the required
    characteristics will not define int32_t. It can still conform to the
    standard.

    (I'm not sure why this is cross-posted to alt.lang.asm.)

    Keith Thompson, Jan 24, 2007
  4. santosh

    T.M. Sommers Guest

    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > "T.M. Sommers" <> writes:
    >>santosh wrote:

    >>>Not all the types in stdint.h are guaranteed to be available on all C
    >>>implementations.

    >>They are guaranteed to be there in all compilers that conform to the
    >>standard.
    >>
    >>>They're defined only if the underlying system has
    >>>support for them.

    >>Well, obviously.

    > Which contradicts the point above.
    >
    > A compiler that doesn't have a 32-bit type with the required
    > characteristics will not define int32_t. It can still conform to the
    > standard.
    >
    > (I'm not sure why this is cross-posted to alt.lang.asm.)

    It started out there; I don't know how it got to comp.lang.c. In
    the context of the discussion there, which was about libraries on
    ia32 platforms, it was not really contradictory.

    Followups set back to alt.lang.asm.

    --
    Thomas M. Sommers -- -- AB2SB

    T.M. Sommers, Jan 24, 2007
  5. santosh

    Phil Carmody Guest

    Keith Thompson <> writes:
    > "T.M. Sommers" <> writes:
    > > santosh wrote:

    > > > Not all the types in stdint.h are guaranteed to be available on all C
    > > > implementations.

    > > They are guaranteed to be there in all compilers that conform to the
    > > standard.
    > >
    > > > They're defined only if the underlying system has
    > > > support for them.

    > > Well, obviously.

    > Which contradicts the point above.
    >
    > A compiler that doesn't have a 32-bit type with the required
    > characteristics will not define int32_t. It can still conform to the
    > standard.

    Absolutely. However, it should be noted that the standard makes no
    reference to whether the underlying architecture needs intrinsic
    support of that type - it can all be happily emulated. (16 bits on
    Alpha always used to be like that, for example.)

    > (I'm not sure why this is cross-posted to alt.lang.asm.)

    It's not - it's /posted/ here - this is where the bunfight is.
    It's being /cross-posted/ over to your lot so you can throw peanuts
    from the gallery.

    Phil
    --
    "Home taping is killing big business profits. We left this side blank
    so you can help." -- Dead Kennedys, written upon the B-side of tapes of

    Yes, I know.

    Phil Carmody, Jan 24, 2007