Re: Fuzzy matching of postal addresses

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Churches, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. Tim Churches

    Tim Churches Guest

    Andrew McLean <> wrote:
    > I have a problem that is suspect isn't unusual and I'm looking to
    > see if there is any code available to help. I've Googled without success.
    >
    > Basically, I have two databases containing lists of postal addresses and
    > need to look for matching addresses in the two databases. More
    > precisely, for each address in database A I want to find a single
    > matching address in database B.

    Have a look at http://febrl.sf.net

    It is a prototype probabilistic record linkage (fuzzy matching) engine, in Python, which
    includes, inter alia, a hidden Markov model address parser. It might be overkill or (at
    this stage of its development) too slow for your application. The next version (ina
    month or two) will include a geocoding engine which could also be used for what you
    want to do, I suspect.

    Tim C
    Tim Churches, Jan 18, 2005