Re: FYI: AI-programmer

Discussion in 'Python' started by Robin Becker, Feb 25, 2013.

  1. Robin Becker

    Robin Becker Guest

    On 22/02/2013 19:21, Ian Kelly wrote:

    > Indeed, it seems to me that this is basically Richard Dawkins' weasel
    > program, with the addition of a transformation step in the fitness
    > function that amounts to running the string through a Brainfuck
    > interpreter. There is a rather large gap between this and getting
    > computers to generate programs that do anything interesting.

    this has been done before over and over

    eg

    http://www.ooblick.com/software/evolve/
    http://hampshire.edu/lspector/push.html

    I think if the OP could get his brainf*ck algorithm to produce a self printing
    program in brainf*ck that would be quite amusing, but for real advances I
    suggest he makes it generate itself. His fitness is fairly silly since it has no
    idea of fitness except success; minimizing the cpu/memory/program length etc etc
    are all additional measures that could be added/used.
    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Feb 25, 2013