Re: Gathering Lakos physical dependency metrics

Discussion in 'C++' started by Phlip, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Phlip

    Phlip Guest

    apm wrote:

    > Has anyone tried gathering the physical dependency metrics mentioned
    > in John Lakos's book, Large-Scale C++ Software Design? The only
    > software I have heard of that tries to do this is Ignominy
    > (http://www.ihep.ac.cn/~chep01/paper/8-024.pdf). Has anyone managed to
    > use it? It seems like configuring it etc is a high set up cost. I
    > think the metrics are useful though so I would be interested to hear
    > who else who has had success in this area.

    Many of the Lakosian metrics and techniques are a retrofit. Applying others
    of his techniques to a small project, before it grows large, will prevent it
    from having long compiles.

    I X-posted to the C++ mailing list to see if anyone knows more about the
    dependency tools. But if your project doesn't take a long time to recompile,
    investing your effort in keeping its design clean will avoid the need to
    retrofit.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Phlip

    apm Guest

    "Phlip" <> wrote in message news:<pQY%c.173$>...
    > I X-posted to the C++ mailing list to see if anyone knows more about the
    > dependency tools.

    Thanks.
    apm, Sep 10, 2004