Re: GC time debug...

Discussion in 'Python' started by David Jeske, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. David Jeske

    David Jeske Guest

    On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 04:55:31PM -0400, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
    > On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 02:47, David Jeske wrote:
    > > In debugging Python GC actions, it's really useful to know the amount
    > > of time Python spends doing the GC cycle (i.e. the pause time). I made
    > > a quick hack to do this, and I've attached the patch. It needs to be
    > > fixed to be portable. I wanted to just call floattime() from
    > > timemodule.c, but it wasn't clear how to do this from gcmodule.c.

    > Out of curiousity, what is this useful for? Do you look for long pause
    > times and try to change the code to reduce them?

    In the past I've written high-performance websites in a
    Python/C/Clearsilver combo model. The most notable of which is
    egroups.com / Yahoo! Groups. Unpredictable pauses are bad, which is
    one of the reasons I liked Python's ref-counting scheme. We just
    didn't make cycles.

    I'm starting up a new high-performance project, and I've been
    evaluating Java. It has all kinds of GC pause problems, which are
    exacerbated by the fact that all web processes live in a single mega
    process and get stopped during GC.

    I wanted to know if it is acceptable to use Python's GC or not for
    this application. Pause times under 0.2s are non-ideal but
    acceptable. Longer than 0.2s isn't acceptable. If I have a cycle, I'd
    rather leak the memory and let it clean up with the apache process
    dies and reforks().

    --
    David Jeske
    Neotonic Software Corporation