Re: General questions - where & how

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Jun 4, 2010.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 6/4/2010 1:35 PM, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

    > On Jun 4, 2010, at 1:22 PM, Uriah Eisenstein wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I'm relatively new to Python and have a few questions. Frankly, it
    >> took me a
    >> while to find on python.org what seems like a suitable place to post my
    >> questions. However, I'd like to check the archives and see if they
    >> haven't
    >> been discussed already...

    > Good thinking!
    >

    >> But I don't find a Search function. Is there such
    >> a thing?

    > I use Google's "site" keyword search. e.g. to search the archives for
    > "banana":
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=site:mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/ banana

    One can also search mailing lists mirrored and archived by gmane
    http://search.gmane.org/
    This is gmane.comp.python.general. There are about 200 other g.c.python
    lists/groups that are more specialized. I have no idea about comparitive
    performance.

    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Jun 4, 2010

  2. On 4 jun, 14:54, Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    > On 6/4/2010 1:35 PM, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
    > > On Jun 4, 2010, at 1:22 PM, Uriah Eisenstein wrote:

    > >> I'm relatively new to Python and have a few questions. Frankly, it
    > >> took me a
    > >> while to find on python.org what seems like a suitable place to post my
    > >> questions. However, I'd like to check the archives and see if they
    > >> haven't
    > >> been discussed already...

    > > I use Google's "site" keyword search. e.g. to search the archives for
    > > "banana":
    > >http://www.google.com/search?q=site:mail.python.org/pipermail/p...

    > This is gmane.comp.python.general. There are about 200 other g.c.python
    > lists/groups that are more specialized. I have no idea about comparitive
    > performance.

    In addition, Google Groups mirrors this list too as
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

    Gabriel Genellina, Jun 5, 2010