Re: Generating C++ code

Discussion in 'Python' started by Etienne Robillard, Oct 9, 2012.

  1. On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 20:55:48 +0100
    Andrea Crotti <> wrote:

    > On 10/09/2012 05:00 PM, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
    > > Greetings,
    > >
    > > I'm trying to generate C++ code from an XML file. I'd like to use a template engine, which imo produce something readable and maintainable.
    > > My google search about this subject has been quite unsuccessful, I've been redirected to template engine specific to html mostly.
    > >
    > > Does anybody knows a python template engine for generating C++ code ?
    > >
    > > Here's my flow:
    > >
    > > XML file -> nice python app -> C++ code
    > >
    > > From what I know I could use Cheetah, a generic template engine. I never used it though, I'm not sure this is what I need.
    > > I'm familiar with jinja2 but I'm not sure I could use it to generate C++ code, did anybody try ? (maybe that's a silly question)
    > >
    > > Any advice would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > JM

    > I think you can use anything to generate C++ code, but is it a good idea?
    > Are you going to produce this code only one time and then maintain it
    > manually?
    >
    > And are you sure that the design that you would get from the XML file
    > actually makes sense when
    > translated in C++?

    You can build nice python app with Cython/Pyrex too if you got sufficient knowledge in C/C++ programming
    to extend the app in C. :)

    Otherwise that seem like a little counter-productive to produce a python template only for generating C stubs when python
    is good for many things without requiring advanced C++ skills like memory management, etc.

    HTH,
    Etienne Robillard
    Green Tea Hackers Club
    Fine Software Carpentry For The Rest Of Us!
    http://gthc.org/

    Etienne Robillard, Oct 9, 2012