Re: Generic WSDL Question

Discussion in 'XML' started by Sandy Dunlop, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. Sandy Dunlop

    Sandy Dunlop Guest

    jm wrote:

    > I am new to WSDL and familiar with XML, but have used them very
    > little. What I am used to is ASP and now ASP .NET using a datagrid or
    > something like that.
    >
    > What I am trying to find out is when an introduction to WSDL says
    > "after building a web service, one publishes a WSDL to tell users how
    > to get to the service..." how does one create a web service? If I use
    > WSDL, does that mean I don't have ASP .NET pages anymore and do it in
    > something else?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for helping me put the puzzle together.

    With ASP.NET the web service would most likely be created using Visual
    Studio .Net, and would be published on an IIS web server. There are many
    other ways of creating a web service including Apache AXIS, and Perl
    SOAP::Lite.

    If you're currently using ASP.Net and you want to make your WSDL file
    avaialble to people, you'll still be using ASP.Net. WSDL isn't changing the
    way you implement your web service at the server side - it's only there to
    aid development of client applications.

    One of the normal ways of accessing the WSDL document for your web service
    is by entering the address in a browser, and adding ?WSDL to the end of it,
    e.g.: http://myserver/myservice.aspx?WSDL

    I can recommend the book Programming Web Services With SOAP to help you get
    started creating web services:

    <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progwebsoap/>

    --
    sandy

    Sandy Dunlop, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Sandy Dunlop

    jm Guest

    Sandy Dunlop <> wrote in message news:<bpd2gh$1vm$>...
    > jm wrote:
    >
    > > I am new to WSDL and familiar with XML, but have used them very
    > > little. What I am used to is ASP and now ASP .NET using a datagrid or
    > > something like that.
    > >
    > > What I am trying to find out is when an introduction to WSDL says
    > > "after building a web service, one publishes a WSDL to tell users how
    > > to get to the service..." how does one create a web service? If I use
    > > WSDL, does that mean I don't have ASP .NET pages anymore and do it in
    > > something else?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for helping me put the puzzle together.

    > With ASP.NET the web service would most likely be created using Visual
    > Studio .Net, and would be published on an IIS web server. There are many
    > other ways of creating a web service including Apache AXIS, and Perl
    > SOAP::Lite.
    >
    > If you're currently using ASP.Net and you want to make your WSDL file
    > avaialble to people, you'll still be using ASP.Net. WSDL isn't changing the
    > way you implement your web service at the server side - it's only there to
    > aid development of client applications.
    >
    > One of the normal ways of accessing the WSDL document for your web service
    > is by entering the address in a browser, and adding ?WSDL to the end of it,
    > e.g.: http://myserver/myservice.aspx?WSDL
    >
    > I can recommend the book Programming Web Services With SOAP to help you get
    > started creating web services:
    >
    > <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progwebsoap/>

    But here's where I am getting lost. Why would I use a WSDL, if I can
    just have the client call the .aspx file? Or is this some sort of
    "invisible" way that applications can call the .aspx and get the data
    that the .aspx returns for usage in their own programs?

    jm, Nov 18, 2003