Re: getbuf()

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Walter Roberson, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Can anyone tell me what does the getbuf() function do?

    It's the Fortran interface to determine which graphics buffer is
    enabled for writing in double buffered mode.

    Or at least that's what it is on my system. It's probably
    something different on your system, considering that it is not
    part of the standard C library.

    Hmmm... did you perchance mean to ask about setbuf() rather than
    getbuf() ? If so then what setbuf() allows you to do is designate
    a particular array to be used for I/O buffering, instead of using
    the one that would normally be provided for you. It gets used to:
    -- set the I/O to be unbuffered
    -- set the I/O buffer larger than the default
    -- allow you to specify an array that you have previously given
    special attributes to, such as aligning it on a certain memory
    boundary (for performance), or placing it in shared memory through
    some OS-specific procedure. Or, for that matter, placing it in
    memory you are sure is not shared, for use in multi-threading
    through some OS-specific routines.
    --
    Prototypes are supertypes of their clones. -- maplesoft

    Walter Roberson, Dec 13, 2005