Re: getting Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) ...

Discussion in 'Java' started by Steven Simpson, Feb 6, 2012.

  1. On 06/02/12 10:33, lbrt chx _ gemale wrote:
    > /*
    > Say you want to keep the local copies of documents you download/view online in a directory structure that somewhat resembles the URL path.
    > When you use firefox as the browser it seems to darken the FQDN,

    Took me a while to work out what you meant. As I see it, it leaves a
    portion of the authority black, and lightens the other parts.

    > but then you can check it doesn't do it truthfully. Try for example:
    > ~
    > http://www-hiel.ist.osaka-u.ac.jp/~iizuka/Hiroyuki_Iizuka.html
    > http://www.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/eng_site/
    > ~
    > Why is it that u-tokyo.ac.jp throws an UnknownHostException?

    What makes you think that FF is claiming that the highlighted portion of
    the authority is strictly a 'host' name?

    > java.net.UnknownHostException: u-tokyo.ac.jp
    > at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Native Method)
    > at java.net.InetAddress$1.lookupAllHostAddr(InetAddress.java:867)
    > at java.net.InetAddress.getAddressFromNameService(InetAddress.java:1246)
    > at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:1197)
    > at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1128)
    > at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1064)
    > at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(InetAddress.java:1014)
    > at GetCanonicalHostName.main(GetCanonicalHostName.java:22)

    $ host u-tokyo.ac.jp
    u-tokyo.ac.jp mail is handled by 20 utmail2.nc.u-tokyo.ac.jp.
    u-tokyo.ac.jp mail is handled by 10 utmail3.nc.u-tokyo.ac.jp.

    --
    ss at comp dot lancs dot ac dot uk
    Steven Simpson, Feb 6, 2012