Re: getting perl and php to talk to each other

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by SwissCheese, Mar 7, 2013.

  1. SwissCheese

    SwissCheese Guest

    On 03/07/2013 01:53 AM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
    > On 03/05/2013 02:06 PM, Ben Morrow wrote:
    >>
    >> Quoth Cal Dershowitz <>:
    >>> [x-posted to clp.misc]

    >> [...]
    >>>
    >>> This article has me convinced that I want perl and php able to deal with
    >>> each other:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9282?page=0,1

    >> Why on Earth would you want to do that? Seriously, I can't think of any
    >> situation where mixing PHP and Perl is easier than just writing in Perl
    >> in the first place.
    >>
    >> Note that the Perl in that article (or at least, the first page, which
    >> was all I read) is pretty bad:
    >>
    >> - use of global filehandles, unnecessary since 2000,
    >> - use of Thread.pm, deprecated since 2002,
    >> - use of threads at all for such a trivial problem,
    >> - using rindex and substr rather than pattern matching,
    >> - using backticks instead of system(),
    >> - using PHP to talk to a database, when Perl's DBI module is
    >> considerably better than PHP's rather random database functions.
    >>
    >> I don't know PHP well enough to comment on it, but I wouldn't be
    >> surprised if the PHP code was just as bad (for instance, I understand
    >> PHP has a saner database interface these days; I don't know if it
    >> existed in 2007, though).
    >>
    >>> so far so good, and then this thing which I've seen in the literature:
    >>>
    >>> using php_config 'php-config'
    >>> Can't exec "php-config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL
    >>> line 55.
    >>> Failed to find the 'php-config' executable. Make sure you have PHP and
    >>> PHP sources installed, and that 'php-config' is in PATH. at Makefile.PL
    >>> line 55.
    >>>
    >>> bla bla bla do not pass Go. Right now I have a default installation.
    >>>
    >>> Simple question: What types of things can I get configured with
    >>> php-config? envelope data available? ftp data?

    >> php-config is a program installed with php, which tells other programs
    >> how php was installed. For instance, on my system
    >>
    >> ~% php-config --libs
    >> -lcrypt -lcrypt -lpcre -lm -lxml2 -lz -liconv -lm -lcrypt -lcrypt
    >> ~% php-config --includes
    >> -I/usr/local/include/php -I/usr/local/include/php/main
    >> -I/usr/local/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/local/include/php/Zend
    >> -I/usr/local/include/php/ext -I/usr/local/include/php/ext/date/lib
    >> ~%
    >>
    >> and so on. If you've installed php properly (including any required
    >> development packages, if you're using a package system), you should have
    >> a php-config executable somewhere. Make sure it's in your PATH before
    >> running Makefile.PL.

    > Struggling.
    >
    > $ php-config --libs
    > No command 'php-config' found, did you mean:
    > Command 'pdp-config' from package 'pd-pdp' (universe)
    > Command 'php-config5' from package 'php5-dev' (main)
    > php-config: command not found
    > $

    Try php-config5 as php-config is a link to php-config5. Here they
    both reside in /usr/bin. If you are missing php-config link (it appears
    so) then create it.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062
    SwissCheese, Mar 7, 2013

  2. SwissCheese

    SwissCheese Guest

    On 03/14/2013 06:28 AM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
    > On 03/07/2013 03:28 AM, SwissCheese wrote:

    >>> Struggling.
    >>>
    >>> $ php-config --libs
    >>> No command 'php-config' found, did you mean:
    >>> Command 'pdp-config' from package 'pd-pdp' (universe)
    >>> Command 'php-config5' from package 'php5-dev' (main)
    >>> php-config: command not found
    >>> $

    >> Try php-config5 as php-config is a link to php-config5. Here they
    >> both reside in /usr/bin. If you are missing php-config link (it appears
    >> so) then create it.
    >>

    > swiss,
    >
    > Can you elaborate?

    The file 'php-config' is a pointer (hard/soft link) to 'php-config5'.
    Running 'php-config' actually runs 'php-config5'. Run the command:

    man ln

    ....to read up on how to use them. At worst you could just make a copy of
    'php-config5' and rename it 'php-config' but I would have to say
    creating the link is the proper thing to do.

    SwissCheese, Mar 14, 2013

  3. SwissCheese wrote:
    Please put your real name there. And stop crossposting without Followup-To
    (F'up2).

    > The file 'php-config' is a pointer (hard/soft link) to 'php-config5'.

    Most likely it is not a hardlink, but a symlink.

    F'up2 .php

    PointedEars
    will want to steal it.)
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Mar 18, 2013