RE: glibc detected double free or corruption

Discussion in 'Python' started by Delaney, Timothy (Tim), Dec 20, 2006.

  1. Grant Edwards wrote:

    > When I try to run pycadia
    > <http://www.anti-particle.com/old/pycadia.shtml>
    > I get the following error message as soon as I click "start game"
    >
    > *** glibc detected *** python: double free or corruption (out):
    > 0xbff43b10 ***
    >
    > Then the program locks up and has to be killed with a SIGKILL.
    >
    > pycadia is a pure-python program that uses pygame, pygtk, and
    > gtk.glade. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem?

    The most likely thing is that there is indeed a double free - probably a
    missing INCREF (or possibly an extra DECREF) in one of the extensions.

    For a less likely cause ... was python (or any of the C extensions)
    compiled with -Os by any chance? What version of gcc? I've had the same
    issue with a C++ program, where changing from -Os to -O2 appears to have
    resolved the issue. I was cross-compiling for a different architecture,
    so it's possible in my case that alignment optimisations that -Os
    doesn't do were causing the problem.

    But a missing INCREF or extra DECREF are the most likely causes.

    Tim Delaney

    Delaney, Timothy (Tim), Dec 20, 2006