Re: Glutton for punishment ...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Oct 21, 2009.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>, Ed Mullen <>
    wrote:

    > Take a look at the site in my sig address. I just changed it to have
    > both a fixed top header and fixed footer. Tested in all major browsers
    > I know of and it seems to work just fine.
    >
    > "Does it work
    > for you in your browser in your OS version?"
    >
    > We can argue about the rest of it later.
    >
    > Obviously, in your comments, please state your OS, version, browser and
    > version, and any functional issues.

    Works as you would expect in my Safari 3 on Mac and FF 3.5 and iCab
    latest. But quite broken in Mac Opera 9.64 (backgrounds not showing and
    this affects all dropdowns and general look of page).

    The new way is somewhat counter-intuitive, meaning it looks wrong the
    way it cuts things off at the top and bottom and you need to notice the
    scrollbar before realising the bottom is not reached - whereas, before,
    the footer signalled the bottom. The signal from seeing a footer
    suggests bottom is reached, the scrollbar says not so and complicating
    the matter is that user can also notice something cut off before the
    bottom, before the footer and it takes a moment to realise what is
    happening.

    Fixed is easier to appreciate for side navigation.

    One thing you can do if you wish to persist in this schema, is to make
    it clearer where the beginning and end of the main scrolling page are.
    At the moment you have a continuous background. You can do this by
    employing borders and backgrounds. Like in tables which have fixed
    headers and footers.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 21, 2009

  2. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > But quite broken in Mac Opera 9.64 (backgrounds not showing and
    > this affects all dropdowns and general look of page).

    Correction: I had odd settings from an investigation into something from
    yesterday. It is fine in my Opera. Sorry!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 21, 2009

  3. dorayme

    +mrcakey Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Ed Mullen <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > The new way is somewhat counter-intuitive, meaning it looks wrong the
    > way it cuts things off at the top and bottom and you need to notice the
    > scrollbar before realising the bottom is not reached - whereas, before,
    > the footer signalled the bottom. The signal from seeing a footer
    > suggests bottom is reached, the scrollbar says not so and complicating
    > the matter is that user can also notice something cut off before the
    > bottom, before the footer and it takes a moment to realise what is
    > happening.

    I'd echo that. The problem is that the strong horizontal line for the
    Contact/Feedback header makes it look like a divider for a footer on my
    1280x1024 screen (FF3.5).

    --
    +mrcakey
    www.twitter.com/mrcakey