Re: go ye forth and code no more - was code warriors ad nauseum

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Neredbojias, Sep 14, 2010.

  1. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 13 Sep 2010, thedarkman <> wrote:

    > If my memory serves me correctly, I had this problem in 2002; when I
    > viewed some my web pages in the British Library - which was using
    > Netscape at the time, some fonts were too large, others didn't change
    > colour, and so on.
    >
    > I believe someone in this group told me about closing tags.
    >
    > I tried closing the <p> and <br> but no luck
    >
    > Now, look at these.
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/1-lim.html
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/2-lim.html
    >
    > This is the same file split into two. The first one is all right, but
    > the problem starts in the second one further down.
    >
    > I really haven't a clue how this could be. There must be one specific
    > coding error somewhere that is causing this. One, not hundreds.

    No, there isn't. <grin>

    > Whatever, I have no more time to waste on it. So if you're not using
    > IE, tough.
    >
    > Thanks for nothing chickabiddies.

    I'd rather be a chickabiddy than a dumb cluck.

    > The main page includes 5 new limericks. I say new, but they are all
    > over twenty years old.
    >
    > You read them first here.

    You are obviously an idiot so I'm not going to waste any more of my
    time trying to denumb your skull into some mode of at least
    semi-logical thought-processing.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Sep 14, 2010

  2. Neredbojias

    picayunish Guest

    picayunish, Sep 16, 2010

  3. Neredbojias

    dorayme Guest

    In article <9c4bc$4c9298ef$4df9b65e$>,
    picayunish <> wrote:

    > On 14-9-2010 3:21, Neredbojias wrote:
    > > On 13 Sep 2010, thedarkman<> wrote:
    > >

    > [snip]
    >
    > >> Thanks for nothing chickabiddies.

    > > I'd rather be a chickabiddy than a dumb cluck.

    > Perhaps I'm a dumb cluck.
    > Here is the corrected version
    > [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/]

    Using H1s to head each individual limerick is poor form.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 17, 2010
  4. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 16 Sep 2010, picayunish <> wrote:

    > On 14-9-2010 3:21, Neredbojias wrote:
    >> On 13 Sep 2010, thedarkman<> wrote:
    >>

    > [snip]
    >
    >>> Thanks for nothing chickabiddies.

    >> I'd rather be a chickabiddy than a dumb cluck.

    > Perhaps I'm a dumb cluck.
    > Here is the corrected version
    > [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/]
    >
    > The download version
    > [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/limericks.zip] 200kB

    Well, I can actually see that one. Kudos for putting in a body
    background. The w3c validator says "OK", but I dunno... There are 2
    considered a paragragh with no content but that seems shaky to me.

    Anyway, it's decent. Who the hell is Alexander Baron? The OP?

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Sep 17, 2010
  5. Neredbojias

    picayunish Guest

    On 17-9-2010 1:24, dorayme wrote:
    > In article<9c4bc$4c9298ef$4df9b65e$>,
    > picayunish<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 14-9-2010 3:21, Neredbojias wrote:
    >> > On 13 Sep 2010, thedarkman<> wrote:
    >> >

    >> [snip]

    >> > I'd rather be a chickabiddy than a dumb cluck.

    >> Perhaps I'm a dumb cluck.
    >> Here is the corrected version
    >> [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/]

    > Using H1s to head each individual limerick is poor form.

    I just cleaned the codes up.
    Can change the H1's for each limerick head to H2's.
    Please don't shut the writer, cause it's a long time that I
    wrote/program HTML ;-)
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Sep 17, 2010
  6. Neredbojias

    picayunish Guest

    On 17-9-2010 12:04, dorayme wrote:
    > In article<4e106$4c9339ee$4df9b65e$>,
    > picayunish<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 17-9-2010 1:24, dorayme wrote:

    >> > Using H1s to head each individual limerick is poor form.

    >> I just cleaned the codes up.
    >> Can change the H1's for each limerick head to H2's.
    >> Please don't shut the writer, cause it's a long time that I
    >> wrote/program HTML ;-)

    > I promise not to shut you, the last time I did that to a human,
    > they rotted and it was awful. I learnt my lesson. You are free
    > and safe.

    Thank you.
    I did changed it and removed some failures that w3c validator didn't found.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Sep 17, 2010
  7. Neredbojias

    picayunish Guest

    On 17-9-2010 8:25, Neredbojias wrote:
    > On 16 Sep 2010, picayunish<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 14-9-2010 3:21, Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> On 13 Sep 2010, thedarkman<> wrote:
    >>>

    >> [snip]

    >>> I'd rather be a chickabiddy than a dumb cluck.

    >> Perhaps I'm a dumb cluck.
    >> Here is the corrected version
    >> [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/]
    >>
    >> The download version
    >> [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/limericks.zip] 200kB

    > Well, I can actually see that one. Kudos for putting in a body
    > background. The w3c validator says "OK", but I dunno... There are 2
    > considered a paragragh with no content but that seems shaky to me.

    I did found 3p's without an end tag. ;-)
    The first one was an end tag and the other 2 did removed them.

    > Anyway, it's decent. Who the hell is Alexander Baron? The OP?

    Me think the OP is Alexander Baron.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Sep 17, 2010
  8. Neredbojias wrote:
    > On 16 Sep 2010, picayunish<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 14-9-2010 3:21, Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> On 13 Sep 2010, thedarkman<> wrote:
    >>>

    >> [snip]

    >>> I'd rather be a chickabiddy than a dumb cluck.

    >> Perhaps I'm a dumb cluck.
    >> Here is the corrected version
    >> [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/]
    >>
    >> The download version
    >> [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/limericks.zip] 200kB

    > Well, I can actually see that one. Kudos for putting in a body
    > background. The w3c validator says "OK", but I dunno... There are 2
    > considered a paragragh with no content but that seems shaky to me.
    >
    > Anyway, it's decent. Who the hell is Alexander Baron? The OP?

    I see warning on line 1224
    show a <p> element without a closing </p> element.

    But that is far better that the original that had so Many Errors it
    broke DreamWeaver's HTML cleanup Facility on that particular file.

    --
    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
    http://www.phillipmjones.net/ mailto:p
    Phillip Jones, Sep 17, 2010
  9. Neredbojias

    picayunish Guest

    On 17-9-2010 15:46, Phillip Jones wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> [snip]

    >>> Perhaps I'm a dumb cluck.
    >>> Here is the corrected version
    >>> [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/]
    >>>
    >>> The download version
    >>> [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/limericks.zip] 200kB

    >> Well, I can actually see that one. Kudos for putting in a body
    >> background. The w3c validator says "OK", but I dunno... There are 2
    >> considered a paragragh with no content but that seems shaky to me.
    >>
    >> Anyway, it's decent. Who the hell is Alexander Baron? The OP?
    >>

    > I see warning on line 1224
    > show a <p> element without a closing </p> element.
    >
    > But that is far better that the original that had so Many Errors it
    > broke DreamWeaver's HTML cleanup Facility on that particular file.

    That's funny. Before I uploaded, I had checked it and the W3C validator
    said Pass. The element on line 1224 is changed to a closed </p> element.

    Thank you for rechecking.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Sep 17, 2010
  10. picayunish wrote:
    > On 17-9-2010 15:46, Phillip Jones wrote:

    >> But that is far better that the original that had so Many Errors it
    >> broke DreamWeaver's HTML cleanup Facility on that particular file.

    > That's funny. Before I uploaded, I had checked it and the W3C validator
    > said Pass. The element on line 1224 is changed to a closed </p> element.

    That is because the closing tag for the P element is optional in HTML
    and is not an error. The SPAN, FONT, B elements in the OPs page are not
    optional.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 17, 2010
  11. Neredbojias

    picayunish Guest

    On 17-9-2010 17:37, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > picayunish wrote:
    >> On 17-9-2010 15:46, Phillip Jones wrote:

    >>> But that is far better that the original that had so Many Errors it
    >>> broke DreamWeaver's HTML cleanup Facility on that particular file.

    >> That's funny. Before I uploaded, I had checked it and the W3C validator
    >> said Pass. The element on line 1224 is changed to a closed </p> element.

    > That is because the closing tag for the P element is optional in HTML
    > and is not an error. The SPAN, FONT, B elements in the OPs page are not
    > optional.

    I see. Thanks for the info.

    PS. I like the navbar on your site.
    Perhaps isn't a common question, but can I copy the function of your
    navbar for using on let say mine site?
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Sep 17, 2010
  12. Neredbojias

    dorayme Guest

    In article <i6vrge$f1r$-september.org>,
    Phillip Jones <> wrote:

    > > On 16 Sep 2010, picayunish<> wrote:
    > >

    > >> Here is the corrected version
    > >> [ http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/]

    The opening square bracket right next to the first h disables my
    newsreader from firing the url up in a browser.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 17, 2010