Re: Goin big time!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Peter J Ross, Sep 6, 2008.

  1. Peter J Ross

    Peter J Ross Guest

    In alt.html on Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:26:50 -0700, richard
    <> wrote:

    > Broke down and bought a copy of adobe flash suite which includes
    > flash, dreamweaver, fireworks and contribute.
    >
    > Tried installing in the laptop and got told I need a gig of ram.
    > So I have to install in the HP tower.
    >
    > Now I'll have a few new things to play with and see what I can learn
    > and do with all this fancy shmancy stuff.


    Will the new experiences stop you being extremely st00pid, RtS?

    I doubt it.


    --
    PJR :)
    slrn newsreader (v0.9.9): http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
    extra slrn documentation: http://slrn-doc.sourceforge.net/
    newsgroup name validator: http://pjr.lasnobberia.net/usenet/validator
     
    Peter J Ross, Sep 6, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Peter J Ross

    Guest

    On 6 Sep., 22:00, Peter J Ross <> wrote:
    > In alt.html on Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:26:50 -0700, richard
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Broke down and bought a copy of adobe flash suite which includes
    > > flash, dreamweaver, fireworks and contribute.

    >
    > > Tried installing in the laptop and got told I need a gig of ram.
    > > So I have to install in the HP tower.

    >
    > > Now I'll have a few new things to play with and see what I can learn
    > > and do with all this fancy shmancy stuff.

    >
    > Will the new experiences stop you being extremely st00pid, RtS?
    >
    > I doubt it.


    .... yeah, because flash for Linux is still not out -

    Why @Richard bought now CS3 web standard - before he asked because of
    CS3 pro(fessional)?

    Now all those exciting videos on lynda.com are waiting for you.

    And don't forget -

    <quote> It’s going to be brilliant: See the unveiling of new Adobe
    Creative Suite 4 on September 23! </quote>

    Jan
     
    , Sep 6, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Peter J Ross

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter J Ross <> wrote:

    > In alt.html on Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:26:50 -0700, richard
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Broke down and bought a copy of adobe flash suite which includes
    > > flash, dreamweaver, fireworks and contribute.
    > >
    > > Tried installing in the laptop and got told I need a gig of ram.
    > > So I have to install in the HP tower.
    > >
    > > Now I'll have a few new things to play with and see what I can learn
    > > and do with all this fancy shmancy stuff.

    >
    > Will the new experiences stop you being extremely st00pid, RtS?
    >
    > I doubt it.


    It is a shame really that it will not make anyone take less pleasure in
    other folks' misfortunes.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Sep 7, 2008
    #3
  4. Peter J Ross

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Sep 6, 3:33 pm, wrote:

    > ... yeah, because flash for Linux is still not out -


    That may be true for flash authoring programs. It is also true for
    most major media authoring programs, including sets of programs for
    editing and producing DVD-Audio which can cost many thousands of
    dollars for handling the 6 channels of sound, etc. If you are going to
    do much work with authoring media, you are going to have to have a
    recent Windows OS on at least one computer, although often there is a
    Mac version for some of the most used authoring programs, mainly
    because many Hollywood type professionals like a Mac, not because of
    Mac sales. There are just too few Linux OS computer users for a
    company that writes expensive, specialized media authoring software to
    justify the extra work to offer anything but a version for Windows or
    sometimes MAC OS.

    However flash players are available for a wide variety of OSs and
    browsers, as you can find at the Apache site. In addition to several
    combinations of Windows and MAC OSs and popular browsers that work on
    them, Adobe offers free flash players for Linux x86 with Firefox/
    Mozilla browsers, Sun Solaris in 2 versions, Pocket PCs, and HP-UX.
    This is why authors are now often using flash for video in the flv/swf
    format for important national news sites, YouTube, etc. If you are
    going to offer only a single format video on a site, flv/swf will be
    seen by more users than say wmv, Real, mov etc formats. Thus huge
    major sites now have often converted to flash flv/swf format from the
    mentioned older formats. Of course flash ads are still live and well
    also, often on the same sites with flv/swf video news or whatever. I
    do not deal with flash ads and do not like the excesses of many, as do
    many people who post here. However, for the last few upgrades, flash
    has been capable of everything from rather crude video in ads to high
    resolution video suitable for movies.
     
    cwdjrxyz, Sep 7, 2008
    #4
  5. Peter J Ross

    Guest

    On 7 Sep., 04:15, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > On Sep 6, 3:33 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > ... yeah, because flash for Linux is still not out -

    >
    > That may be true for flash authoring programs. It is also true for
    > most major media authoring programs, including sets of programs for
    > editing and producing DVD-Audio which can cost many thousands of
    > dollars for handling the 6 channels of sound, etc. If you are going to
    > do much work with authoring media, you are going to have to have a
    > recent Windows OS on at least one computer, although often there is a
    > Mac version for some of the most used authoring programs, mainly
    > because many Hollywood type professionals like a Mac, not because of
    > Mac sales. There are just too few Linux OS computer users for a
    > company that writes expensive, specialized media authoring software to
    > justify the extra work to offer anything but a version for Windows or
    > sometimes MAC OS.
    >
    > However flash players are available for a wide variety of OSs and
    > browsers, as you can find at the Apache site. In addition to several
    > combinations of Windows and MAC OSs and popular browsers that work on
    > them, Adobe offers free flash players for Linux x86 with Firefox/
    > Mozilla browsers, Sun Solaris in 2 versions, Pocket PCs, and HP-UX.
    > This is why authors are now often using flash for video in the flv/swf
    > format for important national news sites, YouTube, etc. If you are
    > going to offer only a single format video on a site, flv/swf will be
    > seen by more users than say wmv, Real, mov etc formats. Thus huge
    > major sites now have often converted to flash flv/swf format from the
    > mentioned older formats. Of course flash ads are still live and well
    > also, often on the same sites with flv/swf video news or whatever. I
    > do not deal with flash ads and do not like the excesses of many, as do
    > many people who post here. However, for the last few upgrades, flash
    > has been capable of everything from rather crude video in ads to high
    > resolution video suitable for movies.


    If you want to do something with flash you also have to learn action
    script.
    In the moment I think about to do a programm for flash
    which can do the same like the java-package on
    ftp://ftp.rssd.esa.int/pub/hipparcos/tools/
    (Maybe you should open the readme-file with eclipse for instance to
    get the whitespaces right.)
    I don't know if flash could also get access to that online database of
    hipparcs.

    Anyway...
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433
    Firefox provides an addon to block flash in the browser.
    Some people don't like it. But flash 3D possibilities are not limited
    to tweening.

    So "Goin big time!"

    n.b. I like mac too, I have only a very old and slow one from my
    father. I want to take it again from my basement and see if I can
    connect it to my network. On windows I also like Safari at the moment.
    I like it.
     
    , Sep 7, 2008
    #5
  6. Peter J Ross

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Sep 7, 2:15 pm, wrote:

    > Anyway...https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433
    > Firefox provides an addon to block flash in the browser.
    > Some people don't like it. But flash 3D possibilities are not limited
    > to tweening.


    I have tried that Firefox addon to "block" flash. Actually it does not
    block flash at all, rather it puts a click on start button on the page
    for every instance of flash and thus kills autostart. However you may
    click on the button to see the flash movie if you wish. For those such
    as myself who nearly always use a start button for flash, this means
    in effect you have to click two start buttons to view the flash. Of
    course some of the hard-sell ad types are likely greatly offended that
    they can not autostart flash movies on some Firefox browsers. I do not
    use flash ads, and this does not bother me much - it just means that
    some on Firefox have to click on two buttons to start a flash movie
    onsome of my pages.


    > So "Goin big time!"
    >
    > n.b. I like mac too, I have only a very old and slow one from my
    > father. I want to take it again from my basement and see if I can
    > connect it to my network. On windows I also like Safari at the moment.
    > I like it.
     
    cwdjrxyz, Sep 8, 2008
    #6
  7. Peter J Ross

    Guest

    On 8 Sep., 02:38, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > I have tried that Firefox addon to "block" flash. Actually it does not
    > block flash at all, rather it puts a click on start button on the page
    > for every instance of flash and thus kills autostart. However you may
    > click on the button to see the flash movie if you wish. For those such
    > as myself who nearly always use a start button for flash, this means
    > in effect you have to click two start buttons to view the flash. Of
    > course some of the hard-sell ad types are likely greatly offended that
    > they can not autostart flash movies on some Firefox browsers. I do not
    > use flash ads, and this does not bother me much - it just means that
    > some on Firefox have to click on two buttons to start a flash movie
    > onsome of my pages.


    Ah oki!
    Funny... I would also not had understand why you install the flash
    plugin for firefox and after you acitvate a flash blocker addon... and
    then you write "ah, I am so happy now I found such a great thing." I
    mean... eam... you activate flash to block it - nonsense, rubbish. I
    did not get that addon to experiment with.
    Sometimes such things can be useful ... I think ... e.g. you have a
    page with a quick time movie embedded. And at the same time the new
    real player is installed. With the new real player a small push button
    appears above the right border of the small movie area which sais
    something like "Download with RealPlayer".
    So on lynda.com you have those quick time movies. With internet
    explorer: When QuickTime-Player is installed and you enter the mouse
    into the movie window (maybe because it is a sepperate window and not
    an embedded video) that push button does not appear. But before when
    QuickTime was not installed you simply can download that movie using
    that RealPlayer push button. You only should not download more than
    two (max. three) videos at one time. Otherwise that download feature
    will get confused and you will get an error message and you have to
    restart RealPlayer.

    Maybe similar things can be achieved when you don't allow any flash
    movie to start on its own.
    Why you use such a flash control - if I may ask?



    So how do you use that start button for flash
     
    , Sep 8, 2008
    #7
  8. Peter J Ross

    Guest

    On 8 Sep., 02:38, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > I have tried that Firefox addon to "block" flash. Actually it does not
    > block flash at all, rather it puts a click on start button on the page
    > for every instance of flash and thus kills autostart. However you may
    > click on the button to see the flash movie if you wish. For those such
    > as myself who nearly always use a start button for flash, this means
    > in effect you have to click two start buttons to view the flash. Of
    > course some of the hard-sell ad types are likely greatly offended that
    > they can not autostart flash movies on some Firefox browsers. I do not
    > use flash ads, and this does not bother me much - it just means that
    > some on Firefox have to click on two buttons to start a flash movie
    > onsome of my pages.


    Ah oki!
    Funny... I would also not had understand why you install the flash
    plugin for firefox and after you acitvate a flash blocker addon... and
    then you write "ah, I am so happy now I found such a great thing." I
    mean... eam... you activate flash to block it - nonsense, rubbish. I
    did not get that addon to experiment with.
    Sometimes such things can be useful ... I think ... e.g. you have a
    page with a quick time movie embedded. And at the same time the new
    real player is installed. With the new real player a small push button
    appears above the right border of the small movie area which sais
    something like "Download with RealPlayer".
    So on lynda.com you have those quick time movies. With internet
    explorer: When QuickTime-Player is installed and you enter the mouse
    into the movie window (maybe because it is a sepperate window and not
    an embedded video) that push button does not appear. But before when
    QuickTime was not installed you simply can download that movie using
    that RealPlayer push button. You only should not download more than
    two (max. three) videos at one time. Otherwise that download feature
    will get confused and you will get an error message and you have to
    restart RealPlayer.

    Maybe similar things can be achieved when you don't allow any flash
    movie to start on its own.
    Why you use such a flash control - if I may ask?



    So how do you use that start button for flash
     
    , Sep 8, 2008
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. flamesrock
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    476
    Hendrik van Rooyen
    Nov 24, 2006
  2. Shaguf
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    363
    Shaguf
    Dec 24, 2008
  3. Shaguf
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    458
    Shaguf
    Dec 26, 2008
  4. Shaguf
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    244
    Shaguf
    Dec 26, 2008
  5. Shaguf
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    220
    Shaguf
    Dec 24, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page