Re: Good C Practice

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Ian Collins, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. Ian Collins

    Ian Collins Guest

    Christiano Farina Haesbaert wrote:
    > This is my first post to this group so please take it easy.
    >
    > I'm no C expert but I've been coding in it for a while, I always ask
    > myself what's the best place to see/read good C, by good C I mean
    > projects that use C effectively in a "modern" and concise way.
    >
    > How can I judge what's a good practice ?
    > Where can we find it ?

    If you are looking for something recent, manageable and well structured,
    have a look at the Solaris ZFS source:

    http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/source/

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Sep 3, 2008

  2. Ian Collins

    Ian Collins Guest

    Pilcrow wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:59:30 +1200, Ian Collins <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Christiano Farina Haesbaert wrote:
    >>> This is my first post to this group so please take it easy.
    >>>
    >>> I'm no C expert but I've been coding in it for a while, I always ask
    >>> myself what's the best place to see/read good C, by good C I mean
    >>> projects that use C effectively in a "modern" and concise way.
    >>>
    >>> How can I judge what's a good practice ?
    >>> Where can we find it ?
    >>>

    >> If you are looking for something recent, manageable and well structured,
    >> have a look at the Solaris ZFS source:
    >>
    >> http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/source/

    > Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
    > similar/different is this from linux?

    Years ahead!

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Sep 3, 2008

  3. Pilcrow wrote:

    >>http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/source/

    > Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
    > similar/different is this from linux?

    ZFS is a file system, Linux is an operating system kernel.

    Erik
    Erik de Castro Lopo
    "... the industrial-capitalist mode of software production
    was doomed to be outcompeted from the moment capitalism
    began to create enough of a wealth surplus for many
    programmers to live in a post-scarcity gift culture."
    -- Eric S. Raymond
    Erik de Castro Lopo, Sep 3, 2008
  4. Ian Collins wrote:

    >> Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
    >> similar/different is this from linux?
    >>

    > Years ahead!

    Saying ZFS (a filesystem) is years ahead of Linux (an OS kernel) is
    is somewhat silly.

    Saying "The OpenSolaris platform" is years ahead of "The Linux
    Platform" is just as silly because there is at least one area
    where OpenSolaris is about a decade behind the commonly used
    Linux distros.

    Erik (who once worked at SUN but never drank the Koolaid)
    Erik de Castro Lopo
    The word "Windows" is a word out of an old dialect of the
    Apaches. It means: "White man staring through glass-screen
    onto an hourglass..."
    Erik de Castro Lopo, Sep 3, 2008
  5. Ian Collins

    Richard Bos Guest

    Erik de Castro Lopo <> wrote:

    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    > >> Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
    > >> similar/different is this from linux?
    > >>

    > > Years ahead!

    > Saying ZFS (a filesystem) is years ahead of Linux (an OS kernel) is
    > is somewhat silly.

    Not if you're talking about programming style. SunOS was years ahead of
    Linux in solidity and style decades ago, and still is.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Sep 3, 2008
  6. Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
    > Pilcrow wrote:
    >
    >>> http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/source/

    >> Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
    >> similar/different is this from linux?

    > ZFS is a file system, Linux is an operating system kernel.

    I think OP's question was regarding C programming style.

    --
    /"\ Join the ASCII | Thommy M. Malmström
    \ / ribbon campaign | AB Hardeberga IT
    Thommy M. Malmström, Sep 3, 2008
  7. Ian Collins

    Ian Collins Guest

    Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
    > Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

    >>> Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
    >>> similar/different is this from linux?

    >> ZFS is a file system, Linux is an operating system kernel.

    > I think OP's question was regarding C programming style.

    So were my replies.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Sep 3, 2008