    for this page what chance they will be downloaded on .. any pages. It works
    in IE, so that's IE and probably Chrome at least. Seems like another
    failure vector though ;)
    123Jim, May 20, 2010

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "123Jim"
    <> writing in

    > "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    >> <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/quick-tip-

    googl
    >> e-fonts-api-youre-going-to-love-this/>
    >>
    >> --

    > Here: http://code.google.com/webfonts I don't see displayed the google
    > fonts in Firefox 3.6.3. Instead from body:
    > font-family:arial,sans-serif; So that must mean the fonts are not
    > downloaded.. if they are not downloaded for this page what chance they
    > will be downloaded on .. any pages. It works in IE, so that's IE and
    > probably Chrome at least. Seems like another failure vector though ;)

    Works for me, Opera 10.53 Build 3374.

    But, I don't like the way it's done. You have to download THEIR
    stylesheet. Of course, you can request it directly and get the
    information.

    Rather than doing this:
    <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Yanone+Kaffeesatz'
    rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
    body { font-family: 'Yanone Kaffeesatz', serif; font-size: 100px; }

    [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlefont.html]

    I would rather do this:
    @font-face {
    font-family: "Yanone Kaffeesatz";
    src: url("http://themes.googleusercontent.com/font?
    kit=YDAoLskQQ5MOAgvHUQCcLdZ76ZYKVLHIjRQjrp3kYFc");
    }
    body { font-family: 'Yanone Kaffeesatz', serif; font-size: 200%; }

    [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/atfontface.html]

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, May 21, 2010

  3. On Thu, 20 May 2010 23:22:36 +0100, 123Jim wrote:

    > "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    >> <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/quick-tip-google-fonts-api-youre-going-to-love-this/>

    > Here: http://code.google.com/webfonts I don't see displayed the google fonts
    > in Firefox 3.6.3.

    linux:
    No workie in:
    Opera 10.10 -- text simply does not display.
    lynx -- heh... but, the text _does_ display.
    IE6 under wine -- but, the text _does_ display.

    Then, error page only:
    "We're sorry, but your browser is not supported by the Google Font API.
    To browse the fonts in the Google font directory please switch to a
    more modern browser.":
    konqueror 3.5.10

    OK in:
    Google Chrome 5.0.375.53 beta -- dooh
    Firefox 3.5.9 -- linux

    Jonesy
    Allodoxaphobia, May 21, 2010
  4. 123Jim

    Jenn Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "123Jim"
    > <> writing in
    >

    >> "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    >>> <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/quick-tip-
    >>> googl e-fonts-api-youre-going-to-love-this/>
    >>>
    >>> --

    >> Here: http://code.google.com/webfonts I don't see displayed the
    >> google fonts in Firefox 3.6.3. Instead from body:
    >> font-family:arial,sans-serif; So that must mean the fonts are not
    >> downloaded.. if they are not downloaded for this page what chance
    >> they will be downloaded on .. any pages. It works in IE, so that's
    >> IE and probably Chrome at least. Seems like another failure vector
    >> though ;)
    >>

    > Works for me, Opera 10.53 Build 3374.
    >
    > But, I don't like the way it's done. You have to download THEIR
    > stylesheet. Of course, you can request it directly and get the
    > information.
    >
    > Rather than doing this:
    > <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Yanone+Kaffeesatz'
    > rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
    > body { font-family: 'Yanone Kaffeesatz', serif; font-size: 100px; }
    >
    > [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlefont.html]
    >

    > I would rather do this:
    > @font-face {
    > font-family: "Yanone Kaffeesatz";
    > src: url("http://themes.googleusercontent.com/font?
    > kit=YDAoLskQQ5MOAgvHUQCcLdZ76ZYKVLHIjRQjrp3kYFc");
    > }
    > body { font-family: 'Yanone Kaffeesatz', serif; font-size: 200%; }
    >
    > [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/atfontface.html]

    I don't understand under what circumstances a site developer would want to
    use these fonts for a site?

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    http://pqlr.org/bbs/
    Jenn, May 21, 2010
  5. 123Jim

    GTalbot Guest

    On 20 mai, 23:39, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > I don't like the way it's done.  You have to download THEIR
    > stylesheet.

    +1. I also dislike the way it's done, the fact that you have to
    download their stylesheet. I would prefer to just download the font
    and then @font-face it.

    Of course, you can request it directly and get the
    > information.
    >
    > Rather than doing this:
    > <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Yanone+Kaffeesatz'
    > rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
    >     body { font-family: 'Yanone Kaffeesatz', serif; font-size: 100px; }
    >
    > [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlefont.html]
    >
    > I would rather do this:
    > @font-face {
    >   font-family: "Yanone Kaffeesatz";
    >   src: url("http://themes.googleusercontent.com/font?
    > kit=YDAoLskQQ5MOAgvHUQCcLdZ76ZYKVLHIjRQjrp3kYFc");}
    >
    > body { font-family: 'Yanone Kaffeesatz', serif; font-size: 200%; }
    >
    > [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/atfontface.html]

    Both of your test webpages work as expected, accordingly in Konqueror
    4.4.3.

    regards, Gérard
    --
    Internet Explorer 7 bugs: 185 bugs so far
    http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/
    GTalbot, May 21, 2010
  6. 123Jim

    C A Upsdell Guest

    >> I don't like the way it's done. You have to download THEIR
    >> stylesheet.

    > +1. I also dislike the way it's done, the fact that you have to
    > download their stylesheet. I would prefer to just download the font
    > and then @font-face it.

    I myself would prefer:

    1. To be able to download the font myself.

    2. And/or to use font-face myself with a url to the font file on a
    Google server. (This has performance advantages via caching if other
    sites which users visit also use the font files.)

    I looked for both, but could not find either, though perhaps Google will
    add these: the Google Font Directory *is* termed a beta.

    BTW, I found some glitches: in my Browser News "Resources > Fonts" page
    (to be updated tonight) I added all of Google's fonts as specimens, and
    found that, with some combinations of Google's LINK meta tags, their
    stylesheet failed with FF 3.6 and Windows 7: the problem was repeatable;
    and, oddly, moving font names from one LINK meta tag to a second meta
    tag fixed the problem. The glitches may explain why some posters find
    that the new fonts fail to load.

    If Google open sources the font files, then their fonts potentially
    become the first universally available fonts, something which would
    really benefit website design, as well as result in faster page loads
    for users who install the fonts on their PCs.
    C A Upsdell, May 21, 2010
  7. 123Jim

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-05-21 14:56, C A Upsdell wrote:
    > BTW, I found some glitches: in my Browser News "Resources > Fonts" page
    > (to be updated tonight) I added all of Google's fonts as specimens, and
    > found that, with some combinations of Google's LINK meta tags, their
    > stylesheet failed with FF 3.6 and Windows 7: the problem was repeatable;
    > and, oddly, moving font names from one LINK meta tag to a second meta
    > tag fixed the problem. The glitches may explain why some posters find
    > that the new fonts fail to load.

    Okay, I found out why the glitch: Google's LINK meta tag fails if a
    font is listed which is not a Google font, and it turns out that the "IM
    Fell" font they list is not really "IM Fell", but is instead "IM Fell DW
    Pica", and must be specified as such in the meta tag: otherwise all the
    fonts in the LINK meta tag are ignored. Google should either list the
    real font name, not an abbreviated font name, or it should map "IM Fell"
    to the full name when "IM Fell" is specified in their meta tag.
    C A Upsdell, May 21, 2010
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jenn"
    <> writing in

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "123Jim"
    >> <> writing in
    >>

    >>> "Lewis" <> wrote in message

    >>> Here: http://code.google.com/webfonts I don't see displayed the
    >>> google fonts in Firefox 3.6.3. Instead from body:
    >>> font-family:arial,sans-serif; So that must mean the fonts are not
    >>> downloaded.. if they are not downloaded for this page what chance
    >>> they will be downloaded on .. any pages. It works in IE, so that's
    >>> IE and probably Chrome at least. Seems like another failure vector
    >>> though ;)
    >>>

    >> Works for me, Opera 10.53 Build 3374.
    >>
    >> But, I don't like the way it's done. You have to download THEIR
    >> stylesheet. Of course, you can request it directly and get the
    >> information.
    >>
    >> Rather than doing this:
    >> <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Yanone+Kaffeesatz'
    >> rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
    >> body { font-family: 'Yanone Kaffeesatz', serif; font-size: 100px;
    >> } </style>
    >>
    >> [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlefont.html]
    >>

    >> I would rather do this:
    >> @font-face {
    >> font-family: "Yanone Kaffeesatz";
    >> src: url("http://themes.googleusercontent.com/font?
    >> kit=YDAoLskQQ5MOAgvHUQCcLdZ76ZYKVLHIjRQjrp3kYFc");
    >> }
    >> body { font-family: 'Yanone Kaffeesatz', serif; font-size: 200%; }
    >>
    >> [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/atfontface.html]

    > I don't understand under what circumstances a site developer would
    > want to use these fonts for a site?

    If you look at my site, in my signature, using a browser that supports
    @fontface (Opera does), you will see that the level 1 and level 2
    headings are using New Yorker.

    This saves me from having to make text graphics, saves bandwidth, good
    for accessibility, etc.

    Of course, I am using a fall back font and a generic, should the user's
    browser not support @font-face.

    Adrienne Boswell, May 22, 2010
  9. 123Jim

    Jenn Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jenn"
    > <> writing in
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "123Jim"
    >>> <> writing in

    >>> Works for me, Opera 10.53 Build 3374.
    >>>
    >>> But, I don't like the way it's done. You have to download THEIR
    >>> stylesheet. Of course, you can request it directly and get the
    >>> information.
    >>>
    >>> Rather than doing this:
    >>> <link
    >>> href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Yanone+Kaffeesatz'
    >>> rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'> <style>
    >>> body { font-family: 'Yanone Kaffeesatz', serif; font-size: 100px;
    >>> } </style>
    >>>
    >>> [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlefont.html]
    >>>

    >>> I would rather do this:
    >>> @font-face {
    >>> font-family: "Yanone Kaffeesatz";
    >>> src: url("http://themes.googleusercontent.com/font?
    >>> kit=YDAoLskQQ5MOAgvHUQCcLdZ76ZYKVLHIjRQjrp3kYFc");
    >>> }
    >>> body { font-family: 'Yanone Kaffeesatz', serif; font-size: 200%; }
    >>>
    >>> [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/atfontface.html]

    >> I don't understand under what circumstances a site developer would
    >> want to use these fonts for a site?
    >>

    > If you look at my site, in my signature, using a browser that supports
    > @fontface (Opera does), you will see that the level 1 and level 2
    > headings are using New Yorker.
    >
    > This saves me from having to make text graphics, saves bandwidth, good
    > for accessibility, etc.
    >
    > Of course, I am using a fall back font and a generic, should the
    > user's browser not support @font-face.

    ok that makes sense.. thanks :)

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, May 22, 2010
  10. 123Jim

    Roy A. Guest

    On 21 Mai, 17:50, Allodoxaphobia <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 May 2010 23:22:36 +0100, 123Jim wrote:
    >
    > > "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > >> <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/quick-tip-googl....>

    > > Here:http://code.google.com/webfontsI don't see displayed the google fonts
    > > in Firefox 3.6.3.

    > linux:
    > No workie in:
    >                 Opera 10.10  -- text simply does not display.
    >                 lynx  -- heh...   but, the text _does_ display.
    >                 IE6 under wine -- but, the text _does_ display.

    Strange. There must be an error on that page. IE6 and browsers that
    support @font-face should work. (If the browser sniffing that selects
    supported font format is working).

    <http://code.google.com/webfonts> is not working in Opera 10.10, but
    the example on <http://code.google.com/intl/no/apis/webfonts/> are
    working.

    IMO it's to early to use this, but I would use conditional comments
    for IE6 to make sure I am not doing anything to keep IE6 alive.
    Roy A., May 22, 2010
  11. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > If you look at my site, in my signature, using a browser that supports
    > @fontface (Opera does), you will see that the level 1 and level 2
    > headings are using New Yorker.

    How about an easier to put it, using a non-IE browser you will see the
    font New Yorker in the level 1 and level 2 heading ;-)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 22, 2010
  12. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> writing in news:ht8t7v$1uk$-
    september.org:

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> If you look at my site, in my signature, using a browser that supports
    >> @fontface (Opera does), you will see that the level 1 and level 2
    >> headings are using New Yorker.

    > How about an easier to put it, using a non-IE browser you will see the
    > font New Yorker in the level 1 and level 2 heading ;-)

    I KNEW there was an easier way to say that, thanks!

    Adrienne Boswell, May 23, 2010
  13. 123Jim

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-05-22 23:59, Lewis wrote:
    >>> BTW, I found some glitches: in my Browser News "Resources > Fonts" page
    >>> (to be updated tonight) I added all of Google's fonts as specimens, and
    >>> found that, with some combinations of Google's LINK meta tags, their
    >>> stylesheet failed with FF 3.6 and Windows 7: the problem was repeatable;
    >>> and, oddly, moving font names from one LINK meta tag to a second meta
    >>> tag fixed the problem. The glitches may explain why some posters find
    >>> that the new fonts fail to load.

    >> Okay, I found out why the glitch: Google's LINK meta tag fails if a
    >> font is listed which is not a Google font, and it turns out that the
    >> "IM Fell" font they list is not really "IM Fell", but is instead "IM
    >> Fell DW Pica", and must be specified as such in the meta tag:
    >> otherwise all the fonts in the LINK meta tag are ignored. Google
    >> should either list the real font name, not an abbreviated font name,
    >> or it should map "IM Fell" to the full name when "IM Fell" is
    >> specified in their meta tag.

    > <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=IM+Fell'
    > rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
    >
    > Works perfectly fine for me in my googlefonts sample page and has since
    > the day I first posted about the Google Fonts API. IM Fell DW Pica is a
    > substyle (most of the fonts haver 2-4 substyles available).

    I accept what you say: but, for me, IM Fell consistently fails, and if a
    single LINK meta tag specifies multiple Google fonts, all fail if one of
    them is IM Fell. Consistently.
    C A Upsdell, May 23, 2010
  14. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > In message <htbqn4$g1s$-september.org>
    > C A Upsdell <> wrote:

    >>> <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=IM+Fell'
    >>> rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
    >>>
    >>> Works perfectly fine for me in my googlefonts sample page and has since
    >>> the day I first posted about the Google Fonts API. IM Fell DW Pica is a
    >>> substyle (most of the fonts haver 2-4 substyles available).

    >> I accept what you say: but, for me, IM Fell consistently fails, and if a
    >> single LINK meta tag specifies multiple Google fonts, all fail if one of
    >> them is IM Fell. Consistently.

    > <http://home.kreme.com/googlefont.html>
    >
    > Does that fail? Cuz it works here.

    Fails in Firefox 3.6.3,
    works in IE8, and Chrome (naturally enough)
    123Jim, May 23, 2010
  15. 123Jim

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-05-23 18:57, 123Jim wrote:
    > "Lewis"<> wrote in message
    >> In message<htbqn4$g1s$-september.org>
    >> C A Upsdell<> wrote:

    >>> I accept what you say: but, for me, IM Fell consistently fails, and if a
    >>> single LINK meta tag specifies multiple Google fonts, all fail if one of
    >>> them is IM Fell. Consistently.

    >> <http://home.kreme.com/googlefont.html>
    >>
    >> Does that fail? Cuz it works here.
    >>

    > Fails in Firefox 3.6.3,
    > works in IE8, and Chrome (naturally enough)

    I also have FF 3.6.3, which fails for IM Fell. Very odd. I think I
    have to return to my original assessment and say that there really are
    glitches, not an error in the font name. One trusts that Google will
    fix the glitches.
    C A Upsdell, May 24, 2010
  16. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > In message <htcbtf$eqf$-september.org>
    > 123Jim <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Lewis" <> wrote in message

    >>> <http://home.kreme.com/googlefont.html>
    >>>
    >>> Does that fail? Cuz it works here.
    >>>

    >> Fails in Firefox 3.6.3,
    >> works in IE8, and Chrome (naturally enough)

    > Bug in Windows Firefox? I'm running 3.6.3 as well and it works.

    aha .. NoScript plugin strikes again! ... Default settings 'blocks object'
    When I allow the object at googeusercontent.com the fonts appear no problem
    at all.
    Another user induced web fail.
    123Jim, May 27, 2010
  17. 123Jim

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-05-27 03:52, 123Jim wrote:

    >>> Fails in Firefox 3.6.3,
    >>> works in IE8, and Chrome (naturally enough)

    >> Bug in Windows Firefox? I'm running 3.6.3 as well and it works.
    >>

    > aha .. NoScript plugin strikes again! ... Default settings 'blocks object'
    > When I allow the object at googeusercontent.com the fonts appear no problem
    > at all.
    > Another user induced web fail.

    But IM Fell fails for me with 3.6.3, and I don't have the NoScript
    plug-in: there must be another factor, at least for some people.
    C A Upsdell, May 27, 2010
  18. Lewis wrote:
    > In message <htcbtf$eqf$-september.org> 123Jim
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Lewis" <> wrote in message

    >>> <http://home.kreme.com/googlefont.html>
    >>>
    >>> Does that fail? Cuz it works here.
    >>>

    >> Fails in Firefox 3.6.3,
    >> works in IE8, and Chrome (naturally enough)

    > Bug in Windows Firefox? I'm running 3.6.3 as well and it works.

    Nope, something is wrong with

    <http://home.kreme.com/googlefont.html>,

    IM Fell fails in all browsers: my SeaMonkey FF, O, IE, and Chrome!
    However it works just fine with Google's own demo page:

    Jonathan N. Little, May 27, 2010
  19. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "C A Upsdell" <> wrote in message

    >>> Bug in Windows Firefox? I'm running 3.6.3 as well and it works.
    >>>

    >> aha .. NoScript plugin strikes again! ... Default settings 'blocks
    >> object'
    >> When I allow the object at googeusercontent.com the fonts appear no
    >> problem
    >> at all.
    >> Another user induced web fail.

    > But IM Fell fails for me with 3.6.3, and I don't have the NoScript
    > plug-in: there must be another factor, at least for some people.

    Maybe some other Add-on causing the problem in your case.. Try this page:
    http://code.google.com/webfonts in Firefox safe mode (without add-ons)
    123Jim, May 27, 2010