Re: Google Fonts

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dylan Parry, May 21, 2010.

  1. Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry Guest

    On 20/05/2010 18:05, Lewis wrote:
    > <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/quick-tip-google-fonts-api-youre-going-to-love-this/>

    Looks pretty good, but I’m worried that we are starting to rely to much
    on the services that Google provides. What do other folks think in that
    respect?

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, May 21, 2010

  2. Dylan Parry

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Dylan Parry <> wrote:

    > On 20/05/2010 18:05, Lewis wrote:
    > > <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/quick-tip-google-font
    > > s-api-youre-going-to-love-this/>

    > Looks pretty good, but I¹m worried that we are starting to rely to much
    > on the services that Google provides. What do other folks think in that
    > respect?

    Ladies and Gentleman, can we *please* not forget that if you make
    a site with all this fancy reliance, make sure it is an extra
    that can be done without.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 21, 2010

  3. Dylan Parry

    Frobernik Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Dylan Parry <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 20/05/2010 18:05, Lewis wrote:
    >>> <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/quick-tip-google-font
    >>> s-api-youre-going-to-love-this/>

    >> Looks pretty good, but I¹m worried that we are starting to rely to much
    >> on the services that Google provides. What do other folks think in that
    >> respect?

    > Ladies and Gentleman, can we *please* not forget that if you make
    > a site with all this fancy reliance, make sure it is an extra
    > that can be done without.

    Well if the web developer does it properly then thats taken for granted ;)

    I'm worried too. Its not just Googles services some of the CSS grids on
    Yahoo are being written into some HTML as well. It makes things
    difficult to unpick should the technology ever change

    Frobernik, May 21, 2010
  4. Dylan Parry

    GTalbot Guest

    On 21 mai, 06:49, dorayme <> wrote:

    > Ladies and Gentleman, can we *please* not forget that if you make
    > a site with all this fancy reliance, make sure it is an extra
    > that can be done without.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    "
    What do unsupported browsers see?

    If someone using an unsupported browser visits a page that uses
    the Font API, then the text is displayed using the next available font
    in your CSS font stack.
    (...)
    p { font-family: 'Tangerine', cursive; }
    "
    http://code.google.com/intl/en/apis/webfonts/faq.html#Browsers_Unsupported

    If people just add a generic font family (eg: serif, sans-serif,
    cursive, fantasy) at the end of their proposed fancy/customized/
    personal/preferred font family, then your request will be honored.

    Also, in many browsers, users have a setting which can disable use of
    other font types. E.g, In Firefox 2+:

    Tools/Options/Content tab/Advanced button/Allow web pages to use other
    fonts besides/instead of those listed above [checkbox]

    regards, Gérard
    --
    Internet Explorer 7 bugs: 185 bugs so far
    http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/

    GTalbot, May 21, 2010
  5. Dylan Parry

    Roy A. Guest

    On 21 Mai, 10:59, Dylan Parry <> wrote:
    > On 20/05/2010 18:05, Lewis wrote:
    >
    > > <http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/quick-tip-googl....>

    > Looks pretty good, but I’m worried that we are starting to rely to much
    > on the services that Google provides. What do other folks think in that
    > respect?

    These comments has become a mantra for quite a time now.

    Roy A., May 22, 2010