Re: Graphs

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:02:06 +0200, "Dan Peder Eriksen"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I'm having a problem with figuring out how to handle this problem:
    >* I have X nodes.
    >* Each node is connected(the connection goes both ways) to 1 or more nodes.
    >* Every connection has a value.
    >
    >What I need to do is to remove connections so every node only is connected
    >to one other node.
    >The problem is that the sum of all the connections that remain should be the
    >lowest possible value.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/knuth.html

    Nearly always that guy has an algorithm. This is amazing considering
    how long ago the books were written.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Aug 16, 2003

  2. "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:02:06 +0200, "Dan Peder Eriksen"
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >
    > >I'm having a problem with figuring out how to handle this problem:
    > >* I have X nodes.
    > >* Each node is connected(the connection goes both ways) to 1 or more

    nodes.
    > >* Every connection has a value.
    > >
    > >What I need to do is to remove connections so every node only is

    connected
    > >to one other node.
    > >The problem is that the sum of all the connections that remain should be

    the
    > >lowest possible value.

    > See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/knuth.html
    >
    > Nearly always that guy has an algorithm. This is amazing considering
    > how long ago the books were written.

    To bad that you must buy the books. :(

    Dan Peder Eriksen, Aug 16, 2003