Re: Great Linux Game

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by 7, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. 7

    7 Guest

    Sven Lossman wrote:

    > Here is a very sweet game for Linux/Windows/Apple.
    >
    > http://cube.sourceforge.net/

    Question from a newbie.

    The game I know is excellent providing you have OpenGL working.
    But not every liveCD for example boots up with OpenGL working.

    The question for those in the know, is why is OpenGL not
    integrated into the heart of X?

    What I'm really getting at is why is 3D speedy graphics
    methods not part of X?

    I can imagine it is beneficial for hardware makers
    to have some minimal standard to which they can make 3D
    cards. To design good 3D cards, you would just need some
    good VHDL engineers to make the samples out of FPGA and then
    tape out the chips. If you open source the 3D card specs,
    the VHDL can also be open sourced (e.g http://www.opencores.org ),
    and then you can just download the best VHDL,
    and add the extra customisations for making
    a great video card at very little development cost.
    Just a suggestion.

    7, Jan 22, 2005

  2. 7

    Ralph Guest

    7 wrote:

    > Sven Lossman wrote:
    >
    >> Here is a very sweet game for Linux/Windows/Apple.
    >>
    >> http://cube.sourceforge.net/

    > Question from a newbie.
    >
    > The game I know is excellent providing you have OpenGL working.
    > But not every liveCD for example boots up with OpenGL working.
    >
    > The question for those in the know, is why is OpenGL not
    > integrated into the heart of X?
    >
    > What I'm really getting at is why is 3D speedy graphics
    > methods not part of X?

    Because not everyone wants or needs it. Not everyone wants to play 3d games
    on Linux. Many of the uses for Linux do not even require X and many people
    that use X are on servers that do not need high end video cards... Why have
    all that 3d code and expensive cards if not needed?

    Ralph, Jan 22, 2005