Re: GUI frontend for MySQL in wxPython

Discussion in 'Python' started by Paul McNett, May 18, 2004.

  1. Paul McNett

    Paul McNett Guest

    David Stockwell writes:

    > I'm very new to python as well, but if you are looking to see
    > what someone did as an example, take a look at
    > http://www.tyomych-proj.narod.ru/readme.usage.htm

    PMFJI, but after reading that page I just had to mention Dabo
    again in an act of shameless self-promotion, as it has
    something that does what this Java program apparently does, yet
    persists the output to a GUI application that you can run over
    and over on the database, and customize to your needs.

    In the dabodemo, there is a script called wizMaintenanceApp.py,
    which asks you for connection information and location of
    output directory, and then it builds a 3-tier GUI app for you
    that lets you specify selection criteria, browse records, and
    edit records of each table in the database. You can click on
    the browse grid headers to sort each column, and you can resize
    and reposition each column.

    The resulting application is crude and definitely feels
    generated, and it isn't the best general learning tool because
    most of the code that does all the work is in the Dabo
    framework and not in the generated scripts - you'd be learning
    mostly the Dabo API, not how do do this stuff in Python in
    general. But it does let you maintain your MySQL databases and
    it is written in Python with the wxPython toolkit, so there
    should be plenty of example code there to get you going.

    Dabo requires Python 2.3 or higher, wxPython 2.5 or higher, and
    MySQLdb 0.93a or higher. You need the main dabo package
    manually installed to site-packages, and the
    wizMaintenanceApp.py is in the separate dabodemo package. You
    can get the Dabo packages from:

    http://dabodev.com/download

    --
    Paul

    Paul McNett, May 18, 2004

  2. Paul McNett

    Piet Guest

    Paul McNett <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > David Stockwell writes:
    > > I'm very new to python as well, but if you are looking to see
    > > what someone did as an example, take a look at
    > > http://www.tyomych-proj.narod.ru/readme.usage.htm

    > PMFJI, but after reading that page I just had to mention Dabo
    > again in an act of shameless self-promotion, as it has
    > something that does what this Java program apparently does, yet
    > persists the output to a GUI application that you can run over
    > and over on the database, and customize to your needs.

    Admittedly, I didn´t yet have a closer look at dabo, but I had visited
    that page before. But for my purpose, dabo is probably "too much".
    What I wanted to develop originally was not mainly an app for
    graphical browsing of databases, but I mainly wanted to use python´s
    OO to create classes and functions that could be used by others for
    their own apps as well.
    For example, my program comprises five main classes (DatabaseServer,
    DatabaseQuery, Database, DatabaseTable and DatabaseTableRow) which
    IMHO make it a little easier to handle the functions provided by
    MySQLdb.
    I checked for such a bundle which is a little higher level than the
    MySQL driver, but haven´t found any. Does anybody know whether such a
    package exists?

    Best regards
    Piet

    Piet, May 19, 2004