Re: Handle user auto-repeating refresh in browser

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jordan Marton, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Why would your users keep their finger on F5???

    Thats like saying how do I disable Ctrl-Alt-Del so users won't accidently
    restart their system...

    Jordan

    "Neil Kimber" <> wrote in message
    > If I create a test page, run it and press F5 (refresh) and leave my finger
    > on the F5 button, eventually the browser hangs and stops responding.

    Either
    > this is IIS hanging or the IE. In either case, what is the best approach

    for

    Jordan Marton, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Jordan Marton

    Neil Kimber Guest

    Well, they may want to swamp my webserver with requests if they are
    malicious. In effect, I'm asking what different strategies work best for DoS
    attacks.

    Neil Kimber, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Hello Neil,

    Thanks for posting here.

    When we install VS.NET on the system, it will install one tool named Microsoft Application Center Test. By using this tool, we
    can simular milllions of web request. However, I don't observer IIS hangs when using it. So I think the hang that you observed
    should happen on client side, not server side.

    Besides, in order to prevent Dos attack, we could do some actions in server side. For an example, revising
    MaxClientRequestBuffer registry value in IIS server machine. Please refer to "Description of the MaxClientRequestBuffer
    Registry Value"
    http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q260/6/94.asp

    You could also protect web server in firewall level. Please refer to http://www.toplayer.com/content/resource/faq.jsp for
    some ideas in this area.