Re: Has anyone gotten Pyglet to work

Discussion in 'Python' started by Devyn Collier Johnson, Jul 29, 2013.

  1. On 07/29/2013 05:08 PM, Gary Herron wrote:
    > On 07/29/2013 01:56 PM, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:
    >> I tried Pyglet in a Python3 and a Python2 script, but both fail. The
    >> error code is below and the script is attached. The 'boot.ogg' file
    >> is Ubuntu's default bootup sound. I got my code from this link
    >> (http://guzalexander.com/2012/08/17/playing-a-sound-with-python.html).
    >>
    >> collier@Nacho-Laptop:~$ ./pyglet.py
    >> Traceback (most recent call last):
    >> File "./pyglet.py", line 2, in <module>
    >> import pyglet
    >> File "/home/collier/pyglet.py", line 3, in <module>
    >> song = pyglet.media.load('./boot.ogg')
    >> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'media'
    >>

    >> Mahalo,
    >>
    >> DCJ
    >>

    > You appear to have confused Python by having a module named pyglet AND
    > a local file named pyglet.py.
    >
    > This when you say import pyglet, you are not getting the pyglet
    > module, but instead your own file pyglet.py, which of course, has
    > nothing named media in it.
    >
    > Rename your file and try again.
    >
    > P.S. It is a common newbie error to hide a system file like this and
    > suffer the consequence. We've all done it -- at least once. :^) )

    Duh, thanks for the tip (^u^), but I still get an error (different
    error). NOTE: this is all python2.7 code because Pyglet supposedly has
    issues with Python3.

    collier@Nacho-Laptop:~$ pip install pyglet
    Downloading/unpacking pyglet
    Downloading pyglet-1.1.4.tar.gz (2.9MB): 2.9MB downloaded
    Running setup.py egg_info for package pyglet
    ........Blah........
    ........Blah........
    Installing collected packages: pyglet
    Running setup.py install for pyglet
    Successfully installed pyglet
    Cleaning up...
    collier@Nacho-Laptop:~/pytest$ ./pymedia.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./pymedia.py", line 3, in <module>
    song = pyglet.media.load('./boot.ogg')
    File
    "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyglet/media/__init__.py", line
    1386, in load
    source = _source_class(filename, file)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyglet/media/riff.py",
    line 202, in __init__
    'AVbin is required to decode compressed media')
    pyglet.media.riff.WAVEFormatException: AVbin is required to decode
    compressed media
    AL lib: ReleaseALC: 1 device not closed
    collier@Nacho-Laptop:~/pytest$ ls
    boot.ogg pymedia.py

    Mahalo,

    DCJ
    Devyn Collier Johnson, Jul 29, 2013

  2. On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 18:22:02 -0400, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:

    > Duh, thanks for the tip (^u^), but I still get an error (different
    > error). NOTE: this is all python2.7 code because Pyglet supposedly has
    > issues with Python3.

    [...]
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "./pymedia.py", line 3, in <module>
    > song = pyglet.media.load('./boot.ogg')
    > File
    > "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyglet/media/__init__.py", line
    > 1386, in load
    > source = _source_class(filename, file)
    > File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyglet/media/riff.py",
    > line 202, in __init__
    > 'AVbin is required to decode compressed media')
    > pyglet.media.riff.WAVEFormatException: AVbin is required to decode
    > compressed media

    You have a media file (boot.ogg) which pyglet is trying to play using
    AVbin, but you don't have AVbin.

    As far as I know, pip is incapable of handling non-Python dependencies. I
    suggest you try your system's package manager:

    Debian/Ubuntu:

    sudo aptitude install AVbin

    -or-

    sudo apt-get install AVbin

    RedHat/Fedora/Centos:

    sudo yum install AVbin

    and hopefully your distro will already support the latest, or at least
    working, version.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Jul 29, 2013