Re: Heading Summary - No Headings Found

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Jun 4, 2010.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1jjkiia.1fnoy4c1nqe0vgN%>,
    (Mark Shapiro) wrote:

    > I ran my web site past websitegrader.com, and
    > it said my site failed the Heading Summary
    > test as No Headings Found. I can't find out
    > on the web how to fix this, I use old-school
    > <head> stuff </head> at the top of my web
    > page, so how do I fix this error? Thanks.

    Headings refer to the *heading elements* - H1, H2... - and not
    the *head element*. The website grader thinks your heading
    structure is lousy.

    btw, what makes you think it is old school only to use the head
    element for html documents. Is it like gentlemen opening doors
    for ladies? Something gone out of fashion? <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 4, 2010

  2. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1jjkjop.gc4efm55cgeN%>,
    (Mark Shapiro) wrote:

    > > > I ran my web site past websitegrader.com, and
    > > > it said my site failed the Heading Summary
    > > > test as No Headings Found. I can't find out
    > > > on the web how to fix this, I use old-school
    > > > <head> stuff </head> at the top of my web
    > > > page, so how do I fix this error? Thanks.

    > > Headings refer to the *heading elements* - H1, H2... - and not
    > > the *head element*. The website grader thinks your heading
    > > structure is lousy.
    > >
    > > btw, what makes you think it is old school only to use the head
    > > element for html documents. Is it like gentlemen opening doors
    > > for ladies? Something gone out of fashion? <g>

    > Wow, thanks Usenet answer in 10 minutes -
    > Bing, Google, and Yahoo searches could not
    > answer in 1/2 hour of searches.
    >
    > the site I ran it on was http://www.JudgmentBuy.com

    I assume you can see how this webpage is seriously heading
    challenged. Other helpful hints (because there is something I
    want you to do for me):

    * Check your page with

    <http://validator.w3.org/>

    * Invite people here to say what they think of your markup.

    Now, about what I want in return. I want you to hunt down
    Schapper, also known as Miguel of Portugal, a Portuguese
    subscriber who has signally failed to make me Portuguese food and
    send it over to Australia in spite of my helping him time and
    time again on this and related usenet groups. You speak the
    language and you have the legal organisation. Please write him a
    stiff legal letter about the matter. Get a Judgement against him.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 5, 2010

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (Mark
    Shapiro) writing in news:1jjkjop.gc4efm55cgeN%:

    >> > I ran my web site past websitegrader.com, and
    >> > it said my site failed the Heading Summary
    >> > test as No Headings Found. I can't find out
    >> > on the web how to fix this, I use old-school
    >> > <head> stuff </head> at the top of my web
    >> > page, so how do I fix this error? Thanks.

    >> Headings refer to the *heading elements* - H1, H2... - and not
    >> the *head element*. The website grader thinks your heading
    >> structure is lousy.
    >>
    >> btw, what makes you think it is old school only to use the head
    >> element for html documents. Is it like gentlemen opening doors
    >> for ladies? Something gone out of fashion? <g>

    > Wow, thanks Usenet answer in 10 minutes -
    > Bing, Google, and Yahoo searches could not
    > answer in 1/2 hour of searches.
    >
    > the site I ran it on was http://www.JudgmentBuy.com

    The page has 16 errors [http://tinyurl.com/2dd2ydc]
    [http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.judgmentbuy.com%
    2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&outline=1
    &group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.767#source]

    I see that you are using Google's Web Master Tools, good for you, but
    you are mixing XHTML synatx with HTML syntax.

    You are also using <script language="javascript"> and it should be
    <script type="text/javascript">. The language attribute is deprecated
    for the script element.

    You are using an antiquated method of swapping images in the navigation.
    It would be better to do this using CSS. Actually, there is no reason
    to use images for your navigation, just do a swap of background color,
    eg:

    #nav a:link, #nav a:visited {background-color:#000; color:#fff;}
    #nav a:hover {background-color: blue; color: white;}

    I would also get away from using tables and spacer gifs for positioning
    elements. Tables are for tabular data, and are a PITA to maintain. You
    are better off using CSS.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 5, 2010
  4. dorayme wrote:

    > In article <1jjkiia.1fnoy4c1nqe0vgN%>,
    > (Mark Shapiro) wrote:
    >
    >> I ran my web site past websitegrader.com, and
    >> it said my site failed the Heading Summary
    >> test as No Headings Found.

    [...]
    > Headings refer to the *heading elements* - H1, H2... - and not
    > the *head element*.

    Indeed.

    > The website grader thinks your heading
    > structure is lousy.

    Well, it just says that there are no headings. This is usually a sign of
    poor structure, and the message was useful in this case.

    However, the websitegrader.com site is generally questionable. Its report
    starts by babbling about blogging, it whines about images missing ALT
    attributes when the images have alt="", and it lists headings in an odd
    order (h1, h3, h2 - ignoring any lower-level headings), etc.

    > btw, what makes you think it is old school only to use the head
    > element for html documents.

    Every HTML document contains a head element, though its start and end tags
    are optional (except in XHTML).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 5, 2010