Re: Help, anybody!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Freeserve, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Freeserve

    Freeserve Guest

    "user 1" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, i'm designing a site for myself but i'm having an interesting table
    > problem. Basically I'm using tables to layout my navagation along the
    > entire left side of the moniter. I'm using hand coding and Dreamweaver MX
    > for development. Now, the table that takes up a good portion of the

    screen
    > is 2 columns and 8 rows. Now, in the left hand column, i've got a

    "section
    > title" in one cell followed by that sections links, and I have that four
    > times. Then I merged the column cells on the right side with <colspan> so
    > that I had one big empty cell to work with. Now the

    problem......everytime
    > I hit return to put more text or images is also expands the left hand side
    > cells. Mind you i'm not making the big cell any bigger, just hitting
    > return. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Greg G.

    Hi, I have had the same problem quite a few times but I have found a way
    around it. It involves using nested tables. Basically placing tables
    inside tables. In your case I would create a table, 2 colums by 1 row.
    Place your 1 colum by 8 row table in the first cell and just a 1 by 1 table
    in the second cell. Be sure to top align all the cells in the 2 by 1 table
    or you will have the same problem. If this doesnt make any sense just email
    me and i will email you an example file.
    Freeserve, Jun 23, 2003