RE: Help, *.CHM, etc -> *nix .chm viewer

Discussion in 'Python' started by Christian Wilcox, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. > I wonder if anyone has written a cross-platform CHM decoder and browser
    > that has the help browser look & feel. I can't find one, but it seems
    > that python would be a great language to make such a thing. Maybe
    > I'll take a crack if it hasn't been done. I like monolithic,
    > compressed help vs. a big directory full of html.

    http://xchm.sourceforge.net/

    Description from the page:

    xCHM is a .chm viewer for UNIX (Linux, *BSD, Solaris), written by Razvan Cojocaru.
    Success stories of xCHM on Mac OS X have also been received, and apparently xCHM even works if compiled under the Cygwin environment in Windows.

    HTH

    Christian Wilcox

    Christian Wilcox, Jan 21, 2004

  2. On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:48:48 -0600, Christian Wilcox
    <> wrote:

    >> I wonder if anyone has written a cross-platform CHM decoder and browser
    >> that has the help browser look & feel. I can't find one, but it seems
    >> that python would be a great language to make such a thing. Maybe
    >> I'll take a crack if it hasn't been done. I like monolithic,
    >> compressed help vs. a big directory full of html.

    > http://xchm.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Description from the page:
    >
    > xCHM is a .chm viewer for UNIX (Linux, *BSD, Solaris), written by Razvan
    > Cojocaru.
    > Success stories of xCHM on Mac OS X have also been received, and
    > apparently xCHM even works if compiled under the Cygwin environment in
    > Windows.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Christian Wilcox

    Doesn't wxPython/wxWindows include a cross-platform HTML-Help widget set?
    I'm pretty sure it did when I was playing with this, but it wasn't exposed
    in earlier versions, or you needed to get it out of CVS or something -
    which is why I went the .chm route.

    Well, OK - I'll get off my lazy ass and check:

    >>> from wxPython.wx import *
    >>> from wxPython.html import *
    >>> from wxPython.htmlhelp import *
    >>> print dir(wxHtmlHelpController)

    ['AddBook', 'AddPendingEvent', 'Connect', 'Destroy', 'Disconnect',
    'Display', 'D
    isplayContents', 'DisplayID', 'DisplayIndex', 'GetClassName',
    'GetEvtHandlerEnab
    led', 'GetFrame', 'GetNextHandler', 'GetPreviousHandler', 'KeywordSearch',
    'Proc
    essEvent', 'ReadCustomization', 'SetEvtHandlerEnabled', 'SetNextHandler',
    'SetPr
    eviousHandler', 'SetTempDir', 'SetTitleFormat', 'UseConfig',
    'WriteCustomization
    ', '__del__', '__doc__', '__init__', '__module__', '__repr__',
    '_setOORInfo']

    It seems to depend on importing in the above order. I am running an older
    version of wx so it may be better in newer versions.

    --
    Markus

    Markus Wankus, Jan 21, 2004