Re: Help: Method invocation using an automation tool.

Discussion in 'Java' started by D. Lane, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. D. Lane

    D. Lane Guest

    femplox,

    <> wrote in message
    > I have an QA automation tool and would like to execute a method within
    > the application currently executing to reteive information. Currently
    > what I typically do is have a class or classes within the jre/lib/ext
    > directory which I can create and execute during automation testing and
    > retrieve back information. However this information is typical from a
    > database and runs in it's own sepreate thread using the current JVM.
    > For instance I collect data to populate fields within the currently
    > executing application. What I would like to do is execute a method
    > from within a currently excuting application and retrieve information
    > for which I can use. I don't know how do to this or if it can be done.

    > For example I want to get the text from the title bar. I can get this
    > information by simply launching a method within the application that
    > is currently executing. String getContents() for example. The method
    > is public. I would like to execute this method from the automation
    > tool. Can this be done? I cannot modify any of the application code.
    > I cannot get a handle on the path of the classes I need to. Is there a
    > way I can find all classes currently in memory? Mind you I am a
    > beginner in Java.

    The answer is: it depends. There are methods to retrieve for
    class public constructors, and other attributes See the
    Sun Java doc on the class 'Class' for further details.

    Doug
    D. Lane, Jun 27, 2003