Re: HELP: PHP Send mail problems.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Doug Miller, Aug 2, 2010.

  1. Doug Miller

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, "" <> wrote:
    >I have designed a site in Expression Web (yes I know you all hate it)
    >and it has some forms in it which work fine in IE but not in Chrome
    >and Firefox (surprise, surprise)

    You're going about that all wrong. Design for the standards-compliant browsers
    (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera) first. Then tweak as needed to make it work
    in IE.

    >but I can't work out the problem.

    What problem would that be? I don't see any description of a problem here.
    [tons of code snipped]
    Doug Miller, Aug 2, 2010

  2. On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:26:15 GMT, (Doug Miller)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, "" <> wrote:
    >>I have designed a site in Expression Web (yes I know you all hate it)
    >>and it has some forms in it which work fine in IE but not in Chrome
    >>and Firefox (surprise, surprise)

    >You're going about that all wrong. Design for the standards-compliant browsers
    >(Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera) first. Then tweak as needed to make it work
    >in IE.

    He is using "Expression Web" a microsoft product. All microsoft
    product are designed to work only with microsoft - so OK with IE and
    microsoft don't care about standards .... to permit normal browsers to
    work.

    >>but I can't work out the problem.

    >What problem would that be? I don't see any description of a problem here.
    >[tons of code snipped]

    He just said that the mail is not sent.

    I have written a poorly similar stuff, but i wrote something like
    this:
    $mailsent= "false";
    if(mail("", "Formulaire du site \"les vieilles
    branches\"", "From: \"$nom\" <$email>\nSujet: $subject_mail \nMessage:
    \n$message_mail\n-- \n-- Fin du message \n--", "From:
    " ))
    {
    $mailsent = "true";
    }
    if ($mailsent=="true")
    {
    echo "Thank you, the mail has been sentbr>";
    } else
    {
    echo "Sorry, the mail has not been sentbr>";
    }
    Raymond Schmit, Aug 2, 2010

  3. Doug Miller

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:26:15 GMT, (Doug Miller)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, ""

    > <> wrote:
    >>>I have designed a site in Expression Web (yes I know you all hate it)
    >>>and it has some forms in it which work fine in IE but not in Chrome
    >>>and Firefox (surprise, surprise)

    >>You're going about that all wrong. Design for the standards-compliant browsers

    >>(Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera) first. Then tweak as needed to make it work
    >>in IE.

    >He is using "Expression Web" a microsoft product.

    I'm not familiar with that product; didn't know it was by MonkeySoft. That
    explains a lot.

    > All microsoft
    >product are designed to work only with microsoft - so OK with IE and
    >microsoft don't care about standards .... to permit normal browsers to
    >work.

    One more reason not to use MonkeySoft products...

    >>>but I can't work out the problem.

    >>What problem would that be? I don't see any description of a problem here.
    >>[tons of code snipped]

    >He just said that the mail is not sent.

    Pretty vague, don't you think?
    Doug Miller, Aug 3, 2010
  4. Doug Miller

    DLU Guest

    Raymond Schmit wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:26:15 GMT, (Doug Miller)
    > wrote:
    >

    > He is using "Expression Web" a microsoft product. All microsoft
    > product are designed to work only with microsoft - so OK with IE and
    > microsoft don't care about standards .... to permit normal browsers to
    > work.

    Expression web will work with any product, it just makes the code for
    you, and it has pages you can modify. You still need to understand
    basic HTML. You can generate some CSS with it but you still have to
    understand how CSS works. It also makes it easy to insert colors, and
    fonts among other things.

    See http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc

    I used Expression web to build it, then had to get some help from this
    group to straighten it out as I did not understand wrappers for one
    thing. Also the original page was copied from another site which had
    many errors at that time. It also has an easy to use FTP program.

    All browsers work with my site.

    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *t
    * Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
    * I am not SPEWS.ORG *
    ***************************************
    DLU, Aug 3, 2010
  5. Doug Miller

    DLU Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > DLU <> writes:
    >

    > I find it amusing that Expression creates XHTML, which IE does not
    > support. A clear case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand
    > is doing, IMHO. :)
    >
    > sherm--

    Here is page heading.

    I do not see XHTML
    --
    ***************************************
    DLU, Aug 3, 2010
  6. Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > DLU<> writes:
    >
    >> Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >>> DLU<> writes:
    >>>

    >>> I find it amusing that Expression creates XHTML, which IE does not
    >>> support. A clear case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand
    >>> is doing, IMHO. :)
    >>>
    >>> sherm--
    >>>

    >> Here is page heading.
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    >>
    >> I do not see XHTML

    > It must be browser-sniffing then, 'cause it sends XHTML to FireFox -
    > with a text/html MIME type, and markup that's effectively no different
    > from that sent to IE, except for the additional slashes. My faith in
    > MS's idiocy has been restored. :)

    <snipping annoying signature>

    No I think our friend DLU is looking at a different page,
    in Seamonkey:

    In IE8:

    and in IE6:

    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 3, 2010
  7. Doug Miller

    DLU Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >> DLU<> writes:

    >>> Here is page heading.
    >>>
    >>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    >>>
    >>> I do not see XHTML

    >> It must be browser-sniffing then, 'cause it sends XHTML to FireFox -
    >> with a text/html MIME type, and markup that's effectively no different
    >> from that sent to IE, except for the additional slashes. My faith in
    >> MS's idiocy has been restored. :)

    > <snipping annoying signature>
    >
    > No I think our friend DLU is looking at a different page,
    > in Seamonkey:
    >
    > In IE8:
    >
    > and in IE6:

    The heading I put up is the the first lines in the website I manage.
    This is from the main page.
    Here is more, I still do not see the XHTML

    <!-- REMOVE META ROBOTS IF PLACED ON WEB -->
    <!-- Title should match H1 -->
    <title>California Nevada Regional Conservation Committee</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="cnrcc.css" type="text/css">
    <!--Conservation Committee homepage">-->
    <script src="mouseovers.html" type="text/javascript"></script>

    http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/

    This site can be accessed directly, also done with Expression Web.
    http://www.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/

    --
    ***************************************
    DLU, Aug 3, 2010
  8. On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:11:54 -0700, DLU <> wrote:

    >Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Sherm Pendley wrote:

    >>> It must be browser-sniffing then, 'cause it sends XHTML to FireFox -
    >>> with a text/html MIME type, and markup that's effectively no different
    >>> from that sent to IE, except for the additional slashes. My faith in
    >>> MS's idiocy has been restored. :)

    >> <snipping annoying signature>
    >>
    >> No I think our friend DLU is looking at a different page,
    >> in Seamonkey:
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    >>
    >> In IE8:
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    >>
    >> and in IE6:
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

    >The heading I put up is the the first lines in the website I manage.
    >This is from the main page.
    > Here is more, I still do not see the XHTML
    ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    ><!-- REMOVE META ROBOTS IF PLACED ON WEB -->
    ><!-- Title should match H1 -->
    ><title>California Nevada Regional Conservation Committee</title>
    ><link rel="stylesheet" href="cnrcc.css" type="text/css">
    ><!--Conservation Committee homepage">-->
    ><script src="mouseovers.html" type="text/javascript"></script>
    >
    > http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/
    >
    >This site can be accessed directly, also done with Expression Web.
    >http://www.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/

    You said .... > Here is more, I still do not see the XHTML
    BUT !!!... opening http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/ with
    Seamonkey 2.0.4 shows ...

    <head><title>
    Login - Clubhouse

    etc ...etc ...
    Raymond Schmit, Aug 4, 2010
  9. Doug Miller

    DLU Guest

    Raymond Schmit wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:11:54 -0700, DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > You said .... > Here is more, I still do not see the XHTML
    > BUT !!!... opening http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/ with
    > Seamonkey 2.0.4 shows ...

    > <head><title>
    > Login - Clubhouse
    >
    > etc ...etc ...

    Would that have anything to do with the servers being MS? The index file
    has to be index.asp to work on the server. The page I use on my
    machine to view the site is index.htm

    --
    ***************************************
    DLU, Aug 4, 2010
  10. On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:07:34 -0700, DLU <> wrote:

    >Raymond Schmit wrote:

    >> You said .... > Here is more, I still do not see the XHTML
    >> BUT !!!... opening http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/ with
    >> Seamonkey 2.0.4 shows ...
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

    >> <head><title>
    >> Login - Clubhouse
    >>
    >> etc ...etc ...

    >Would that have anything to do with the servers being MS? The index file
    > has to be index.asp to work on the server. The page I use on my
    >machine to view the site is index.htm

    I don't know why i got a webpage with XHTML and you with HTML ...
    I just told you that i got XHTML with my SeaMonkey browser.
    Raymond Schmit, Aug 4, 2010