Re: HELP: Tabbed drop down menus

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jonathan N. Little, May 1, 2010.

  1. ing wrote:
    > I have been to about a dozen web sites with tutorials for tabbed drop
    > down menues. Some are CSS and some are Javascript but I cannot get any
    > of them to work. I am using Expression Web. I have tried copying the
    > code into the code menu. I have tried copyuing the graphic example
    > into the design window. And yet when I view them they NEVER work.
    > Nothing ever pulls down. All I get is tabulated text. No nice
    > graphical menus. What am I doing wrong?

    Not providing a URL to what you have tried. We are web designers, not
    psychics.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 1, 2010

  2. Jonathan N. Little

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:14:16 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >> I have been to about a dozen web sites with tutorials for tabbed drop
    > >> down menues. Some are CSS and some are Javascript but I cannot get any
    > >> of them to work. I am using Expression Web. I have tried copying the
    > >> code into the code menu. I have tried copyuing the graphic example
    > >> into the design window. And yet when I view them they NEVER work.
    > >> Nothing ever pulls down. All I get is tabulated text. No nice
    > >> graphical menus. What am I doing wrong?

    > >Not providing a URL to what you have tried. We are web designers, not
    > >psychics.

    > Well I don't have a url for my hard disc but the codefor 3 different
    > attempts is below:
    >
    > VERSION 1 STARTS

    Stop! <g>

    How about something altogether more tractable and simple:

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdown.html>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 2, 2010

  3. Jonathan N. Little

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:14:16 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >> I have been to about a dozen web sites with tutorials for tabbed drop
    > >> down menues. Some are CSS and some are Javascript but I cannot get any
    > >> of them to work. I am using Expression Web. I have tried copying the
    > >> code into the code menu. I have tried copyuing the graphic example
    > >> into the design window. And yet when I view them they NEVER work.
    > >> Nothing ever pulls down. All I get is tabulated text. No nice
    > >> graphical menus. What am I doing wrong?

    > >Not providing a URL to what you have tried. We are web designers, not
    > >psychics.

    > Well I don't have a url for my hard disc but the codefor 3 different
    > attempts is below:

    [snip attempts]

    Personally I am using a menu from:

    All Levels Navigational Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)

    because I wanted multi-level menus (but without being constrained to
    some maximum depth), and the ability to construct some menus on the fly
    with JavaScript.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 2, 2010
  4. Tim Streater wrote:

    > All Levels Navigational Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
    >
    > because I wanted multi-level menus (but without being constrained to
    > some maximum depth), and the ability to construct some menus on the fly
    > with JavaScript.

    That is such a *bad idea*, yes convenient but

    disabled JavaScript==no navigation

    Far better if you want flexible dynamically created|maintained menus use
    server-side scripting that is not dependent on the client.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 2, 2010
  5. Jonathan N. Little

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <hrjtci$hh8$-september.org>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Tim Streater wrote:
    >
    > > All Levels Navigational Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
    > >
    > > because I wanted multi-level menus (but without being constrained to
    > > some maximum depth), and the ability to construct some menus on the fly
    > > with JavaScript.
    > >

    > That is such a *bad idea*, yes convenient but
    >
    > disabled JavaScript==no navigation
    >
    > Far better if you want flexible dynamically created|maintained menus use
    > server-side scripting that is not dependent on the client.

    Why would I disable javascript in my application? I have 13k lines of js
    in my app and 6k lines of php. Next thing I'll do is look into whether
    or not I can use PackageMaker to build a .pkg so that Installer can put
    the code in the right place, check that the appropriate system
    components are in place, and make some changes to various files so that
    some features work.

    I view your notion that "JavaScript might be disabled" as on a par with,
    "Well, that's a nice executable you've made, but suppose the user has no
    operating system installed, eh? Didn't think of that one, did you?".

    Client-side and server-side are both on the same machine, and all
    appropriate components have to be present for the application to work.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 2, 2010
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Tim Streater
    <> writing in

    > In article <hrjtci$hh8$-september.org>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tim Streater wrote:
    >>
    >> > All Levels Navigational Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
    >> >
    >> > because I wanted multi-level menus (but without being constrained
    >> > to some maximum depth), and the ability to construct some menus on
    >> > the fly with JavaScript.
    >> >

    >> That is such a *bad idea*, yes convenient but
    >>
    >> disabled JavaScript==no navigation
    >>
    >> Far better if you want flexible dynamically created|maintained menus
    >> use server-side scripting that is not dependent on the client.

    > Why would I disable javascript in my application? I have 13k lines of
    > js in my app and 6k lines of php. Next thing I'll do is look into
    > whether or not I can use PackageMaker to build a .pkg so that
    > Installer can put the code in the right place, check that the
    > appropriate system components are in place, and make some changes to
    > various files so that some features work.
    >
    > I view your notion that "JavaScript might be disabled" as on a par
    > with, "Well, that's a nice executable you've made, but suppose the
    > user has no operating system installed, eh? Didn't think of that one,
    > did you?".

    Your best friend, Google, does not have javascript enabled, and thus
    cannot access javascript navigation.

    > Client-side and server-side are both on the same machine, and all
    > appropriate components have to be present for the application to work.

    That makes absolutely no sense. What you have on your server is not on
    my client, and whatever client side script you might be serving me, I
    can use my browser to override or disable client side scripting
    altogether.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, May 2, 2010
  7. Tim Streater wrote:

    > I view your notion that "JavaScript might be disabled" as on a par with,
    > "Well, that's a nice executable you've made, but suppose the user has no
    > operating system installed, eh? Didn't think of that one, did you?".
    >
    > Client-side and server-side are both on the same machine, and all
    > appropriate components have to be present for the application to work.

    Not necessarily. You have control over what runs on the server, you do
    not have control over what runs on the visitor's computer. You cannot
    depend on your visitor having JavaScript enabled. You can use JavaScript
    to augment or enhance but it is a mistake to *depend* on JavaScript for
    functionality.

    http://lmgtfy.com?q=bad web design javascript menu

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 2, 2010
  8. Jonathan N. Little

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <Xns9D6C6B9294340arbpenyahoocom@81.169.183.62>,
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Tim Streater
    > <> writing in
    >
    > > In article <hrjtci$hh8$-september.org>,

    > >> That is such a *bad idea*, yes convenient but
    > >>
    > >> disabled JavaScript==no navigation
    > >>
    > >> Far better if you want flexible dynamically created|maintained menus
    > >> use server-side scripting that is not dependent on the client.

    > > Why would I disable javascript in my application? I have 13k lines of
    > > js in my app and 6k lines of php. Next thing I'll do is look into
    > > whether or not I can use PackageMaker to build a .pkg so that
    > > Installer can put the code in the right place, check that the
    > > appropriate system components are in place, and make some changes to
    > > various files so that some features work.
    > >
    > > I view your notion that "JavaScript might be disabled" as on a par
    > > with, "Well, that's a nice executable you've made, but suppose the
    > > user has no operating system installed, eh? Didn't think of that one,
    > > did you?".

    > Your best friend, Google, does not have javascript enabled, and thus
    > cannot access javascript navigation.
    >

    > > Client-side and server-side are both on the same machine, and all
    > > appropriate components have to be present for the application to work.
    > >

    > That makes absolutely no sense. What you have on your server is not on
    > my client, and whatever client side script you might be serving me, I
    > can use my browser to override or disable client side scripting
    > altogether.

    Yes it does. If you were to use my app then server side and client side
    would both reside on your machine - assuming you have a Mac running
    10.6. I don't have access to, and won't have access to, any other
    platform. The components I need (SQLite, PHP5, Apache, browser with
    JavaScript) are all supplied. The JavaScript uses ajax to get data and
    assumes all the php scripts are on localhost.

    Of course you could then disable JavaScript. Equally I could cd to / and
    rm some random set of files from there. Hmm, mach_kernel might be a good
    place to start. But why would I bother?

    Trouble is you have just assumed that any visitor here is dealing with
    the standard browser-on-my-machine-getting-content-from-remote-server
    scenario. That may be true for 99% of visitors but not in my case.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 2, 2010
  9. Jonathan N. Little

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > dorayme's suggestion yields a pretty looking menu rather than the
    > tabbed text of previous attempts but when I hover nothing pulls down
    > (see example below).

    > dORAYME'S CODE STARTS

    > xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
    > xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice">

    No, it doesn't... ?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 2, 2010
  10. Jonathan N. Little

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 May 2010 19:52:26 +1000, dorayme <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >How about something altogether more tractable and simple:
    > >
    > ><http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdown.html>

    > I have now revisited this and have almost got i working. Thanks for
    > that. The menus appear as nice graphics. The options pull down when I
    > hover over. The only problem is that when I move to anotherheader the
    > old pull down stays pulled down rather than disappearing. So if I
    > hover over all 5 headings I end up with all 5 menus displayed
    > simultaneously. How do I make them dippear when I stop hovering? TIA.

    You need to give more details. This does not happen on on any of
    my normal browsers and not even in IE6 when I just looked on my
    brand spanking new virtual MS machine on my Mac.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 2, 2010
  11. Jonathan N. Little

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 May 2010 19:52:26 +1000, dorayme <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > table and simple:
    > >
    > ><http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdown.html>

    > Sorry. Forgot to include code. Here it is.
    >

    > <!DOCTYPE HTML

    Not quite sure what you are doing, I expect you are saying that
    this is my code as somehow put through (or surely "mangled by"
    would be a more accurate expression) some MS software generator...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 2, 2010
  12. Jonathan N. Little

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > In message <>
    > ing <> wrote:
    > > Dorayme's suggestion yields a pretty looking menu rather than the
    > > tabbed text of previous attempts but when I hover nothing pulls down

    > If <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdown.html>
    > doesn't show submenus on hover then your browser is severely broken.
    > Using IE6 or something?

    Funny I should read this just now because I have recently
    installed VirtualBox on my Intel Macbook and so far only have IE6
    and the menu works fine, helped along no doubt by

    <script src="forIEScript.js" type="text/javascript"
    charset="utf-8"></script>

    in the head.

    This is not needed for good modern browsers like Safari, Firefox,
    Opera...

    I mention this, Lewis, because I think you are a Mac user... I
    will install other IEs soon, possibly on separate virtual
    machines or possibly not (might just use the sorts of multiple IE
    facilities I have on a winbox that is lying under a desk to my
    back

    \|/

    and left <------- )

    <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 2, 2010
  13. Jonathan N. Little

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > In message <>
    > Tim Streater <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > "" <> wrote:

    > >> Well I don't have a url for my hard disc but the codefor 3 different
    > >> attempts is below:

    > > [snip attempts]

    > > Personally I am using a menu from:

    > > All Levels Navigational Menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)

    > <http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddlevelsmenu/index.htm> is a
    > very nice looking menu, but it uses JavaScript, so not a valid solution
    > for my needs.

    No problem with that.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 2, 2010
  14. Jonathan N. Little

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 May 2010 07:48:23 +1000, dorayme <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Not quite sure what you are doing, I expect you are saying that
    > >this is my code as somehow put through (or surely "mangled by"
    > >would be a more accurate expression) some MS software generator...

    > Could you be slightly more specific as to what has been mangled
    > because that is surely the source of my problem?

    Your problem might well be that you are not on a server with
    access to the js needed to help poor old IE struggle over the
    line? Here is your latest, unmodified markup (invalid but never
    mind and changed from mine in ways that you simply can see by
    inspecting them both, the two even use quite different doctypes.)
    in the folder on a server that does have the script:

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/telling.html>

    and the dropdown works fine on even IE6.

    It is not for nothing that folk have been saying to put up urls
    and use a public server.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 2, 2010
  15. Tim Streater wrote:
    > In article<Xns9D6C6B9294340arbpenyahoocom@81.169.183.62>,
    > Adrienne Boswell<> wrote:
    >
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Tim Streater
    >> <> writing in

    >>> Client-side and server-side are both on the same machine, and all
    >>> appropriate components have to be present for the application to work.
    >>>

    >> That makes absolutely no sense. What you have on your server is not on
    >> my client, and whatever client side script you might be serving me, I
    >> can use my browser to override or disable client side scripting
    >> altogether.

    > Yes it does. If you were to use my app then server side and client side
    > would both reside on your machine

    No it doesn't The server-side resides on the *server*. The client only
    receives the *output* in the form of HTML from the server-side script.
    Whereas the client-side JavaScript is sent to the client and processed
    on the client and therefore is dependent on being enabled on the client
    which is the "brittle" nature of depending on JavaScript.

    > - assuming you have a Mac running

    In web design your page should work independent of what the client is
    running and that is the point.

    > 10.6. I don't have access to, and won't have access to, any other
    > platform. The components I need (SQLite, PHP5, Apache, browser with
    > JavaScript) are all supplied. The JavaScript uses ajax to get data and
    > assumes all the php scripts are on localhost.

    ????

    > Of course you could then disable JavaScript. Equally I could cd to / and
    > rm some random set of files from there. Hmm, mach_kernel might be a good
    > place to start. But why would I bother?

    Not sure of the point here either.

    > Trouble is you have just assumed that any visitor here is dealing with
    > the standard browser-on-my-machine-getting-content-from-remote-server
    > scenario. That may be true for 99% of visitors but not in my case.

    Okay, your special, but what does that have to do with the OP?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 2, 2010
  16. ing wrote:
    > On 02 May 2010 20:06:47 GMT, Lewis
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In message<>
    >> <ing> wrote:
    >>> Dorayme's suggestion yields a pretty looking menu rather than the
    >>> tabbed text of previous attempts but when I hover nothing pulls down

    >> If<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdown.html>
    >> doesn't show submenus on hover then your browser is severely broken.
    >> Using IE6 or something?

    > Yes it works fine on the web site. But not when I copy and paste it
    > into Expression Web. If you read the original post you would see that
    > this is the problem I have been having since thes start. But using the
    > above I have made progress. The menu opens fine. The pull downs just
    > don't close when I move off of them and stay permanently down. Any
    > useful suggestions?

    Yes post a URL of efforts.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 2, 2010
  17. Jonathan N. Little

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <hrkubh$jig$-september.org>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Tim Streater wrote:
    > > In article<Xns9D6C6B9294340arbpenyahoocom@81.169.183.62>,
    > > Adrienne Boswell<> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Tim Streater
    > >> <> writing in

    > >> That makes absolutely no sense. What you have on your server is not on
    > >> my client, and whatever client side script you might be serving me, I
    > >> can use my browser to override or disable client side scripting
    > >> altogether.

    > > Yes it does. If you were to use my app then server side and client side
    > > would both reside on your machine

    > No it doesn't The server-side resides on the *server*. The client only
    > receives the *output* in the form of HTML from the server-side script.
    > Whereas the client-side JavaScript is sent to the client and processed
    > on the client and therefore is dependent on being enabled on the client
    > which is the "brittle" nature of depending on JavaScript.

    Oh do keep *up* at the back there. OK - in words of one syllable: if you
    run my app, then your computer if, of necessity, both the client and
    server machine.

    > > - assuming you have a Mac running

    > In web design your page should work independent of what the client is
    > running and that is the point.
    >
    > > 10.6. I don't have access to, and won't have access to, any other
    > > platform. The components I need (SQLite, PHP5, Apache, browser with
    > > JavaScript) are all supplied. The JavaScript uses ajax to get data and
    > > assumes all the php scripts are on localhost.

    > ????
    >

    > > Of course you could then disable JavaScript. Equally I could cd to / and
    > > rm some random set of files from there. Hmm, mach_kernel might be a good
    > > place to start. But why would I bother?

    > Not sure of the point here either.

    The point is that my app needs its host to supply certain components
    (listed above). Without any one of those it won't work. Likewise my copy
    of Word will suffer if I go around deleting or disabling bits of the
    operating system.

    > > Trouble is you have just assumed that any visitor here is dealing with
    > > the standard browser-on-my-machine-getting-content-from-remote-server
    > > scenario. That may be true for 99% of visitors but not in my case.
    > >

    > Okay, your special, but what does that have to do with the OP?

    The OP was asking about drop-down menu packages. I posted a link to one
    with one or two brief notes about why I used it. The OP is free to
    ignore that or say thanks but no thanks or whatever.

    I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 2, 2010
  18. Tim Streater wrote:
    > The OP was asking about drop-down menu packages. I posted a link to one
    > with one or two brief notes about why I used it. The OP is free to
    > ignore that or say thanks but no thanks or whatever.
    >
    > I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

    OP asked about a dropdown menu for a *webpage*.

    You supplied a link to a solution that requires JavaScript to work.

    I pointed out that your "solution" was a bad idea for a *webpage*
    because for public web sites your are not guaranteed that your visitors
    will have JavaScript enabled.

    You defended your "solution" because it works for you with your special
    app. What does that have to do with a public webpage? Maybe you can
    control the client situation with your little app, but that is not how
    the web works.

    JavaScript dependent navigation for a web site is bad design, bad
    practice, bad idea, period. Does not matter what you sue for you app.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, May 3, 2010
  19. Jonathan N. Little

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 02 May 2010, Tim Streater <> wrote:

    > In article <hrkubh$jig$-september.org>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tim Streater wrote:
    >> Okay, your special, but what does that have to do with the OP?

    > The OP was asking about drop-down menu packages. I posted a link to
    > one with one or two brief notes about why I used it. The OP is free
    > to ignore that or say thanks but no thanks or whatever.
    >
    > I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

    On Usenet? Ha ha ha, a mere babe in the woods! Actually, though,
    Jonathan's reply to this same referred post is ontrack and I think he's
    English. Dunno what he meant about suing the app, however. Maybe it's
    a fetish or something. Anyway, the point is expect to be flamed and it
    won't burn so much.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, May 3, 2010
  20. Jonathan N. Little

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 May 2010 08:27:46 +1000, dorayme <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > ><http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/telling.html>
    > >
    > >and the dropdown works fine on even IE6.
    > >

    > The same probelm occurs on your web page.

    You mean the one I gave before or this version which is *your*
    webpage hosted via the dorayme usenet hosting service?

    > The menus pull down when I
    > hover over them and don't go back when I move off of them, so I end up
    > with a screen full of menus once I hover over a few. And just for the
    > record I'm using IE7.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? TIA.

    Can anyone confirm what you are experiencing?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 3, 2010