Re: hidden keywords

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Denise Enck, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. Denise Enck

    Denise Enck Guest

    "Bart van den Burg" <> wrote in message

    > Is it possible to put some text on a page that is not visible for anyone,
    > except for search engines?

    Yes, it possible. But you will pay dearly for it -- all the search engines
    are onto that type of thing, and they will penalize your site for it by
    completely eliminating it from their searches.
    There are no "sneaky ways" to get keywords into a webpage that the search
    engines haven't already thought of & accounted for.

    So, just play by the rules, & optimize your pages for the search engines.

    Here's a page with some excellent advice on using keywords in your webpages:
    http://www.searchengines.com/textkeywords.html
    http://spider-food.net/keywords.html

    And a list of don'ts (things that piss off search engines):
    http://www.spider-food.net/spam.html

    best,
    Denise
    Denise Enck, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Denise Enck

    SteW Guest

    SteW, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Denise Enck

    Denise Enck Guest

    > I just remembered there's a META tag for keywords...
    > Are those commonly used by search engines nowadays?
    >
    > Bart

    a few still use them. but that meta tag has been so abused that most search
    engines ignore them now. The meta description tag is still useful, however.

    best,
    Denise
    Denise Enck, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Denise Enck

    PeterMcC Guest

    Denise Enck wrote:
    >> I just remembered there's a META tag for keywords...
    >> Are those commonly used by search engines nowadays?
    >>
    >> Bart
    >>

    > a few still use them. but that meta tag has been so abused that most
    > search engines ignore them now. The meta description tag is still
    > useful, however.

    Yes, but only for display in search engine results - it doesn't affect the
    results themselves. (I'm sure you knew that, Denise, I just thought I'd make
    it explicit.)

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Sep 5, 2003
  5. Denise Enck

    Denise Enck Guest

    "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message
    > Denise Enck wrote:
    > >> I just remembered there's a META tag for keywords...
    > >> Are those commonly used by search engines nowadays?
    > >>
    > >> Bart
    > >>

    > > a few still use them. but that meta tag has been so abused that most
    > > search engines ignore them now. The meta description tag is still
    > > useful, however.

    > Yes, but only for display in search engine results - it doesn't affect the
    > results themselves. (I'm sure you knew that, Denise, I just thought I'd

    make
    > it explicit.)
    >
    > --
    > PeterMcC

    Yes, that's what I was referring to ~ you're right, I should have been more
    explicit ~

    Though it doesn't affect the rankings, a well-written description, when
    displayed in search engine results, can influence people to visit the page
    in question.

    best,
    Denise
    Denise Enck, Sep 6, 2003
  6. "Denise Enck" <> writes:

    >> Denise Enck wrote:

    [keywords]

    >>> a few still use them. but that meta tag has been so abused

    Abuse is the fate of all tags -- really, both of them.
    There are no 'meta tags', only start and end tags.

    > Though it doesn't affect the rankings, a well-written description, when
    > displayed in search engine results, can influence people to visit the page
    > in question.

    The keyword here is 'when'. :)
    With google, this would usually only happen if the indexed page has no
    content, eg a frameset without alternative text.

    --
    FARGLEBARP
    Eric B. Bednarz, Sep 6, 2003