Re: hidden keywords

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Hywel Jenkins, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. In article <bj8dvo$e95$>,
    says...
    > Hi
    >
    > Is it possible to put some text on a page that is not visible for anyone,
    > except for search engines? It's a list of keywords for that specific page,
    > which aren't interesting for the user at all, but I want users to be able to
    > find the page by those keywords. Of course I could do it in a hidden <DIV>,
    > but then text-browsers would still show them... Does it work if I put it
    > between <!-- --> ?

    Include a server-side script that checks the user agent. If it's not
    IN, NN, Opera, Moz., ... include the keywords. If it is a browser you
    recognise, leave them out. That way you're not spamming the search
    engine.

    --
    Hywe

    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Hywel Jenkins

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Hywel Jenkins
    <> writing in

    > In article <bj8dvo$e95$>,
    > says...
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Is it possible to put some text on a page that is not visible for
    >> anyone, except for search engines? It's a list of keywords for that
    >> specific page, which aren't interesting for the user at all, but I
    >> want users to be able to find the page by those keywords. Of course I
    >> could do it in a hidden <DIV>, but then text-browsers would still show
    >> them... Does it work if I put it between <!-- --> ?

    > Include a server-side script that checks the user agent. If it's not
    > IN, NN, Opera, Moz., ... include the keywords. If it is a browser you
    > recognise, leave them out. That way you're not spamming the search
    > engine.

    But... I've been seeing spiders coming along pretending they are browsers.
    As a matter of fact, a pretty stupid one came by the other day and got
    caught in a shopping cart - and it identified itself as Mozilla/4.0
    (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0) . What made me suspicious was the
    it kept on landing on a "nocookie" page, so I looked up the IP, and sure
    enough it turned out to be a spider from sympatico.ca - Bell Canada.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Sep 5, 2003