Re: High-level network programming: is C language suitable for that?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by ImpalerCore, Apr 26, 2012.

  1. ImpalerCore

    ImpalerCore Guest

    On Apr 26, 12:50 pm, pozz <> wrote:
    > I'll start a new application in a short time and I'm wondering if C
    > language is good enough for that.
    >
    > The application will be simple: it should implement some TCP/UDP
    > protocols (like TFTP, BOOTP,...) with a simple GUI.  It will run on
    > Windows platforms, but the possibility to run it on Linux would be nice.
    >
    > Is C language suitable for this kind of applications?  Which kind of
    > cross-platform libraries should I use to manage IP protocols and simple
    > GUIs?  Could python or other high-level (script) languages be a better
    > choice?

    Wireshark is largely written in C, which should be enough to
    demonstrate C's feasibility to handle networking applications. Just
    depends on your comfort levels using whatever combination of GUI and
    network frameworks that suits your fancy.

    Best regards,
    John D.
    ImpalerCore, Apr 26, 2012